Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

CAR RAMPS ? Yay or Nay

Do any of you use car ramps for simple jobs like oil changes, etc ? If so, do you have any Pros and Cons for their use ?

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
I use regular Rhino ramps. They work fine for oil changes, radiator cleaning and the like.
I've also got 20" high stands I made of 2-by lumber that get the car high enough for serious underside work.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

yes, way easy
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster View Post
Do any of you use car ramps for simple jobs like oil changes, etc ? If so, do you have any Pros and Cons for their use ?
Yay. For oil and filter changes you can't beat them for ease of use, quick set-up not to mention the price.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

I have ramps and have used them in the past but I like the highet clearance of jackstands.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #6

I broke down and got a set of ramps to compliment the my four jack stands. Only used them once so far. Tad bit safer while under the car. Do you guys drive up the ramps or jack the car up?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #7

Garage
You are not level with ramps and not all of the oil will drain-out.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I broke down and got a set of ramps to compliment the my four jack stands. Only used them once so far. Tad bit safer while under the car. Do you guys drive up the ramps or jack the car up?
I would think you would drive up the ramps first and then use jacks as extra safety. You wouldnt need the ramps if you use the jacks first.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
You are not level with ramps and not all of the oil will drain-out.
I am too.
My driveway is sloped perfectly so that when I get the back of the car on the ramps, it sits level.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
Old 09-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #10

I can only use ramps for the rear ,car is to low in front? Or am I missing something?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
I am too.
My driveway is sloped perfectly so that when I get the back of the car on the ramps, it sits level.
Mine too, I have a place right when I back out of the garage where I can back on to them and then the car is perfectly level, and also a place out front. My only issue is sometimes when I drive off the ramps it will shoot one of the ramps backwards and drop the side down more rapidly. So now I just have somebody push me off. For an oil change it is plenty of room. For probably everything else I would just jack it up and put it on the stands. I have the heavier duty rhino ramps, and I have never tried driving onto them from the front, I am not sure if it would clear or not.

Edit: I guess I am "a" Boxster Steve too, but not "the" BoxsterSteve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Mine too, I have a place right when I back out of the garage where I can back on to them and then the car is perfectly level, and also a place out front. My only issue is sometimes when I drive off the ramps it will shoot one of the ramps backwards and drop the side down more rapidly. So now I just have somebody push me off. For an oil change it is plenty of room. For probably everything else I would just jack it up and put it on the stands. I have the heavier duty rhino ramps, and I have never tried driving onto them from the front, I am not sure if it would clear or not.

Edit: I guess I am "a" Boxster Steve too, but not "the" BoxsterSteve
Mine clear just fine from the front.
I once shot both ramps out about 40 feet with the old 5.0 'Stang.
Just because.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

rake

maybe the rake on a 02 is different than 00? My ramps are rino as well, anggle could be sharper on them.