Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #1

how to remove center console ?

02 S I need to remove the center console to get to the shift cables. I removed the screw up front, the one under the ash tray and the one in the rear storage area but it seems to be still tight. I have removed the wiring to the power window switches and the heated seats. So what am I missing ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #2

Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) and Replacing Boxster Shift Bushings - 986 / 987

Figure 3 should be helpful
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Boxster Projects | Parking Brake Sensor Switch

good pictures here
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #4

I can't remember for sure but I think there are 2 in the storage bin one up front in the corner and one in the back-I know I pulled up on mine hard enough to break it because I missed it
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

You could also try using the search function and reading one of the several threads already posted that address this. I know, kind of an extreme thing to do, expecting you to look up your own answers like that...
Old 08-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
You could also try using the search function and reading one of the several threads already posted that address this. I know, kind of an extreme thing to do, expecting you to look up your own answers like that...
Or, you can just post, say howdy, ask a few questions, and wait for the internet police to show up.

Because God knows they don't have anything else better to do than show you how superior they are to the rest of us...

Hey Mark - are you the same guy on Craigslist that flags people? You need to get out of your Mom's basement more...
Old 08-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

Yeah? Well, seeing as how you seem to like running your mouth, explain to me why members of this forum should re-post answers that have been repeatedly posted in the past just because some lazy, self-entitled lump is too damn lazy to look them up himself. It''s not a matter of superiority, just a matter of expecting people to at least make some small token effort to look for their own answers before bleating for help.

So bite me.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah? Well, seeing as how you seem to like running your mouth, explain to me why members of this forum should re-post answers that have been repeatedly posted in the past just because some lazy, self-entitled lump is too damn lazy to look them up himself. It''s not a matter of superiority, just a matter of expecting people to at least make some small token effort to look for their own answers before bleating for help.

So bite me.
What's the matter? Somebody gonna use all the internet electrons?

You need to take some anger management classes too. Go back to your basement. Maybe someone posted a dog for sale on Craigslist.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 PM   #9

Some part of "bite me" you didn't understand?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #10

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
looks like it is that time of the month ....
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:41 AM   #11

Quote:

So bite me.
Mark how did I go from posting a reasonable question to " a lazy self-entitled lump " ? Painting with a broad brush there aren't you ? I was in the middle of trying to remove the console, I posted a quick question and was looking for an answer it really was that simple. After not being able to remove the console I gave up and came in and remembered Pelican had tech articles. I found the one that a friendly forum member posted above and will tackle it again. So sorry to take up your valuable band width.................
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #12

Garage
If you spend any time on any forum, you will find that questions get asked over and over. If that annoys you, just ignore it. I usually search for my questions but there are times I just don't think about it for whatever reason and just ask. I have posted the same links in response to the same basic question many times, it doesn't bother me. Some times I don't respond and let someone else post the link. This isn't a job where I have to perform at a certain level. It's a hobby. Again, if you don't want to supply an answer or a link, don't! It's really pretty simple, life is too short
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #13

Garage
Oh, and when someone posts a question that has been asked before, many times, someone new sees it, and adds something to the answer. That's the other thing, no one has all of the answers, as TO would say, just sayin'
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #14

Garage
I just did that job last weekend

Pelican Parts has a diy write-up. It's also in Wayne's Boxster book.
There are screws under the ashtray and under the mat in the storage compartment.
Once you're sure you've removed all of them, you have to do some serious pulling to release the various and sundry clips that hold all the panels in place. It's a pain in the ass, but not insurmountable. Putting it all back together is relatively easy. I only had one screw lest over The 987 shift mechanism I installed is much better than the 986's
Good luck and don't pay attention to those who are less than cooperative......
Phil
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #15

Quote:
He does have a bit of a point. You can actually learn a tad more by reading old posts

Quote:

So bite me.
No need to be an arrogant SOB.

My Mama used to say: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

Quote:
Some part of "bite me" you didn't understand?
Gee wiz, you certainly are not like most Canadians I have met
plus3db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Mark how did I go from posting a reasonable question to " a lazy self-entitled lump " ? Painting with a broad brush there aren't you ? I was in the middle of trying to remove the console, I posted a quick question and was looking for an answer it really was that simple. After not being able to remove the console I gave up and came in and remembered Pelican had tech articles. I found the one that a friendly forum member posted above and will tackle it again. So sorry to take up your valuable band width.................
Sorry dude - that lump comment was a bit harsh. I had my dander up with Okie at that point. It actually wasn't specifically directed at you personally, more of a general condemnation of posting questions that have been beat to death in the past.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Sorry dude - that lump comment was a bit harsh. I had my dander up with Okie at that point. It actually wasn't specifically directed at you personally, more of a general condemnation of posting questions that have been beat to death in the past.
Your whole answer was a bit harsh man - as pointed out, you are making all us Canucks look bad!

Besides, the search function can be a real pita as you will get dozens of threads and you have to search through them. Great when you have the time and you will learn lots - but when you are right in the middle of a job, so much easier just to ask.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #18

The problem with searching now is, the same questions have been asked so many times that one has to sort through a huge number of unhelpful or minimally helpful threads ( like this one) to eventually find a reference or link back to the one or two threads that were actually helpful in solving one's problem.
So my issue is not about wasting my time replying, which of course is optional, but about clogging up future searches on the topic with a bunch of newly generated heat-of-the-moment threads that add little to the body of knowledge.
Plus it ticks off people like Mark T, making them vitriolic and less rather than more likely to share whatever personal expertise they might possess.
I hold no personal malice for makers of new threads on old topics, but every time this happens, it makes the web site's already anemic search engine just that much less useful.
BTW, rfuerst, you might look at my prior post on the topic of ctr console removal for a precaution.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #19

Quote:
You know Bro, it's your whole snarky attitude...

"You could also try using the search function and reading one of the several threads already posted that address this. I know, kind of an extreme thing to do, expecting you to look up your own answers like that..."

"Yeah? Well, seeing as how you seem to like running your mouth, explain to me why members of this forum should re-post answers that have been repeatedly posted in the past just because some lazy, self-entitled lump is too damn lazy to look them up himself. It''s not a matter of superiority, just a matter of expecting people to at least make some small token effort to look for their own answers before bleating for help.

So bite me."

"Some part of "bite me" you didn't understand?"

"Seriously? He heard a bang, a loud squeal, and yet kept on driving. Darwinism at its finest.

You and your pal make a good pair."

"Or do a search before you post a question that has been asked and answered dozens of times already. There are several detailed explanations of the problem and the fix already posted, you just need to look."

^^^^^^^^

The above are all posts you've made in the last two weeks. The first snarky remark is easy to ignore. After that, you're not playing nice and you need to knock it off.

This is a pretty friendly, easy going forum. It's my favorite Porsche forum on the internet. There's a wide variety of guys here ranging from professional mechanics, to track and autoX guys, several very talented entrepreneurs, and guys that don't know which end of an air pressure gauge to use. But they all come here to learn something, to help someone else learn something or for a little camaraderie. There are several of them that have helped me out a bunch with detailed answers to my project questions both on and off the forum. And I very much appreciate the time and effort they give me.

So if someone asks something that's beneath your vast wealth of knowledge, and you're too contemptuous to help with an answer, maybe instead of a snarky response, ignore it, or just trot over to Horton's, grab a couple of glazed donuts, a cup of coffee (decaf in your case) and read the editorial page in the paper. I'm sure there's plenty there for you to get excited about.

Meanwhile, if you want to post here and be an ass, there are a few guys that are going to call you out for an attitude check and maybe you'll relax a little.

So before you hit "reply" and start to flame me, and make yourself look even worse, go enjoy your donuts and coffee...

Rick
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
Damn Yankee

Garage

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote