Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #1

Help! check engine light on

Hi, all,
Hope this is the right place to ask this: I have a second hand Cayenne S 4.8L. My check engine light came on today. I did my maintains two months ago, it was ok then. I am thinking if I need a scanner put everything here from scratch !! Any recommendation?

gwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwee View Post
Hi, all,
Hope this is the right place to ask this: I have a second hand Cayenne S 4.8L. My check engine light came on today. I did my maintains two months ago, it was ok then. I am thinking if I need a scanner put everything here from scratch !! Any recommendation?
Yes, get it scanned and report what codes were found............
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

Try porsche piwis cable. It can scan my cayenne, even though sometimes you have to try several times, costs $28 only.
guesswecan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswecan777 View Post
Try porsche piwis cable. It can scan my cayenne, even though sometimes you have to try several times, costs $28 only.
Um....where do i get the porsche piwis cable that you mentioned???
gwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
A real PIWIS is far more than $28. They are yearly leases from Porsche and cost $1000's

You can buy a Durametric and it does most of what you would need. Do a search both on the web and this forum for both Durametric as well as the fake PIWIS

There have been reports that the fake ones can damage your DME. YMMV
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-27-2014 at 08:22 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
A real PIWIS is far more than $28. They are yearly leases from Porsche and cost $1000's

You can buy a Durametric and it does most of what you would need. Do a search both on the web and this forum for both Durametric as well as the fake PIWIS

There have been reports that teh fake ones can damage your DME. YMMV
Yes, a real piwis cable costs a lot, mine is clone
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwee View Post
Um....where do i get the porsche piwis cable that you mentioned???
Got it from here: Porsche PIWIS Cable I only need it to do simple diagnostics, never let me down

Last edited by guesswecan777; 09-16-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

What software do you use with the PIWIS clone?
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #9

Fwiw

I had one of the China Clone PIWIS or whatever it is called...never worked...$25 thrown away. The least expensive thing you can get to read general codes in the Porsche is a program called "Torque". It is an APP for a Android or IPhone and you will need a Bluetooth adapter that cost around 10 bucks

The full APP is around 6 to 10 bucks.....Money well spent. Before I got my Durametric and I had a engine light come on while driving I could stop and read the code (usually a Catalytic error) and I had no worries about driving it home. The App will even go online and look up the code for you and you can store them on your phone (cloud) and retrieve them later . While it is nowhere a full diagnostic setup for 20 bucks it is money well spent. Forget the Chinese Cable that hacks durametric software...if you want one I have one you can have if you pay shipping....but a coat hanger is just (perhaps more) useful.

Oh and the little blue ELM 327 are so cheap I have one in each car and setup profiles in my phone for each.

V1 5 ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth Car Wireless Scanner Diagnostic Tool for Android | eBay
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
I am my own mechanic....

I use Dash Command. Great app. Works with BT. Apple version is wifi only and not as reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I had one of the China Clone PIWIS or whatever it is called...never worked...$25 thrown away. The least expensive thing you can get to read general codes in the Porsche is a program called "Torque". It is an APP for a Android or IPhone and you will need a Bluetooth adapter that cost around 10 bucks

The full APP is around 6 to 10 bucks.....Money well spent. Before I got my Durametric and I had a engine light come on while driving I could stop and read the code (usually a Catalytic error) and I had no worries about driving it home. The App will even go online and look up the code for you and you can store them on your phone (cloud) and retrieve them later . While it is nowhere a full diagnostic setup for 20 bucks it is money well spent. Forget the Chinese Cable that hacks durametric software...if you want one I have one you can have if you pay shipping....but a coat hanger is just (perhaps more) useful.

Oh and the little blue ELM 327 are so cheap I have one in each car and setup profiles in my phone for each.

V1 5 ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth Car Wireless Scanner Diagnostic Tool for Android | eBay
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #11

Garage
Why do I get the feeling these two guys are neither real nor cayenne owners. I have a feeling there's going to be continuous threads about chinese clone cables until they're banned.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #12

Here is an easy one...if you own one of the Kung Pow Cables go to Durametric and download the latest software ...because when you do it locks the software dongle in the Chinese cable and it will no longer communicate with the Car.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #13

Garage
Before we anyone else falls for their crap and to hopefully run them off, gwee and guesswecan777 are the same person. Here are their "intro" threads to try and convince us they are real. Too bad they claim to both own Cayennes on a Boxster forum.

http://986forum.com/forums/intro-porsche-boxster/53839-hello-all.html

http://986forum.com/forums/intro-porsche-boxster/53773-hi-everyone.html
Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Here is an easy one...if you own one of the Kung Pow Cables go to Durametric and download the latest software ...because when you do it locks the software dongle in the Chinese cable and it will no longer communicate with the Car.
NO wonder mine broke after the first use ... 'lets try the NEW software, I bet it works better!'
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #15

How about keeping it simple and jsut driving down to your local auto store and laying down 40 big ones ($40) on a basic entry level Actron scanner. It will read and reset your code and that's all you seem to need at this point
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijinn View Post
What software do you use with the PIWIS clone?
Durametric
Old 08-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Before we anyone else falls for their crap and to hopefully run them off, gwee and guesswecan777 are the same person. Here are their "intro" threads to try and convince us they are real. Too bad they claim to both own Cayennes on a Boxster forum.

http://986forum.com/forums/intro-porsche-boxster/53839-hello-all.html

http://986forum.com/forums/intro-porsche-boxster/53773-hi-everyone.html
Haha, you must be proud of your intelligence. If I am gwee, it would be too dumb to create similar account names and claim both have cayennes.

Last edited by guesswecan777; 09-03-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
NO wonder mine broke after the first use ... 'lets try the NEW software, I bet it works better!'
Hmm..never tried to update cheap chinese cables.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Haha, you must be proud of your intelligence. If I am gwee, it would be too dumb to create similar account names and claim both has cayennes.

Claim both have* Cayennes.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Haha, you must be proud of your intelligence. If I am gwee, it would be too dumb to create similar account names and claim both has cayennes.
You're right. Similar names and exact same terrible grammar. The only two people on a boxster forum asking about cayenne and cheap chinese junk cables that effectively disable your engine management system when used. No way you're the same person. After all you live on the opposite ends of the country. I apologize. Let me start over.

I has porch macan and I has check engine light. Can I use porch piwis cable on ebays to make my light fix?