Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 02:46 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Love these types of threads. There's always some self-righteous tool that has to spout an opinion completely unrelated to the OP's original question.

For the record, I always disable the dinger and I always wear my belt. Assuming that disabling the one implies an intent to not use the other is either flawed thinking, or just an excuse to be holier-than-thou.
Caring about the safety of others makes me self righteous? I didn't read the op's post at first I'll give you that, but the post asking for "freedom" kind of made me assume that's what this thread was about.

I'm glad you wear your belt, however you disabling yours and still wearing it puts you in the minority. Most people attempt to override these systems so they dont get annoyed by it when not wearing theirs. So my thinking isn't flawed. And I'm not holier than thou. I just hate going to family members doors at 2 am to tell them their loved one is dead knowing they didn't have to be.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #22
Side Porsche

so uhh, yeah.....

My dinger doesn't work but my car is in permanent transport mode or delivery mode. That means no lights without the key on.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #23

The seat belt "alarm" is a federally mandated safety item, so removing it can result in the car failing inspection in some states as well.

Much like the hated and overly expensive TPMS system, disabling the seat belt alarm also can carry significant liability issues in case of an accident, which is why shops regularly decline to disable either system.