986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Can not get transmission cover back on! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53796-can-not-get-transmission-cover-back.html)

SeanZ4 08-23-2014 04:23 PM

Can not get transmission cover back on!

Did a transmission oil change today. '00 S 6spd. I loosened the cross braces and took the triangle shaped aluminum cover pan off. Now I can't get the bolts to line up! It's maddening! I've been going back and forth for hours. I'm almost ready to drill the holes out to get it to go back on. Am I missing something?? Could something have moved to make it not line up??? I don't think so, but it was hard to pry off when I took it off.

Anyone else have this problem?

thanks
sean

peterbrown77 08-23-2014 04:25 PM

I had the same issue - took some good whacks to get it over the studs.

Drilled a 1.5" hole under the drain plug so i won't go through it again.

SeanZ4 08-23-2014 04:30 PM

I've tried banging on it with a dead-blow hammer. No luck. The aluminum braces will go on fine but the triangle shaped cover is not even close. Almost half a bolt diameter off. I've already thought about drilling the big hole idea. Good idea. I don't think the rear suspension mounting point where the studs are sticking out could've moved?? Was there a certain order you put the pan back on in?

Tucker2 08-23-2014 04:35 PM

I memory serves me correctly.....(I did the tranny fluid thing last summer)....I put the triangle thing on first and then the two braces.

Also....don't tighten anything up until you have all the bolts threaded. I remember that helping a lot.

Steve Tinker 08-23-2014 04:47 PM

As per Tucker says - before trying to fit up the triangulated alloy cover, loosen off the cross bracing tensioning nuts and then fit the alloy cover. Just make sure the cover is put on squarely before tapping into place.
Drilling out the holes is not a good idea - the whole reason the cover is a tight fit is because its an integral support brace for the rear suspension....

BoxsterSteve 08-23-2014 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker2 (Post 415754)
I memory serves me correctly.....(I did the tranny fluid thing last summer)....I put the triangle thing on first and then the two braces.

Also....don't tighten anything up until you have all the bolts threaded. I remember that helping a lot.

Solid advice... This technique worked for me as well.

SeanZ4 08-23-2014 04:57 PM

Yeah, I know the plate goes on first. I meant did you do one side or another in any order? I have the braces all loose. I can get one side or another and the back brace, but I can't get the left and right side to go on at the same time. I agree with you on the drilling the holes out not being a good idea. Ugggh. I'll try again in the a.m. with a fresh attitude!

dghii 08-23-2014 06:30 PM

It funny (not really) but when I had the cover off on my 2000S I had no issue putting back on. On one of two 98 Boxster's I've changed gear oil in, one was easy and one was a PIA to get back on. Just kept at and it eventually got lined up right.

Just hold your mouth right and it'll go on!

JFP in PA 08-24-2014 08:36 AM

The easy way to get everything to line back up is to use a $10 ratcheting tie down from Harbor Freight. Just attach it to the lower suspension arms on each side and draw them together slightly, and all the bolt holes will line back up.

Never enlarge the bolt holes.

SeanZ4 08-24-2014 02:23 PM

Good advice Jeff. I also read on an old pelican thread to move the tires that are suspended right now and it may line back up. It's over 100 deg. today with high humidity, so I may go out this evening when it's cooler. I have a couple of those ratchet tie downs.

thanks
sean

SeanZ4 08-25-2014 05:05 PM

follow up:

Success!!

I put a cheap yellow ratchet tie down between the lower control arm mounts and pulled it fairly tight. Everything came back into alignment. I tapped it all back into place with a rubber hammer and had it back together in 10 minutes. Thanks everyone and especially you Mr. JFP in PA for your ratchet suggestion.

Now onto the fuel filter...new adventure.

sean

JFP in PA 08-25-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanZ4 (Post 415986)
Success!!

I put a cheap yellow ratchet tie down between the lower control arm mounts and pulled it fairly tight. Everything came back into alignment. I tapped it all back into place with a rubber hammer and had it back together in 10 minutes. Thanks everyone and especially you Mr. JFP in PA for your ratchet suggestion.

Now onto the fuel filter...new adventure.

sean

Glad to be of assistance..............

Tucker2 08-25-2014 06:43 PM

Congrats!!!

eriklhayes 11-07-2023 06:27 AM

Needing help on Rear Pan install

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1699370746.jpg

Looking for help on installing my rear pan. On the ratcheting strap technique. Are you using one strap or two? Where are you latching them on? Pic?
Thanks,
Erik

seningen 11-07-2023 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriklhayes (Post 657156)
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1699370746.jpg

Looking for help on installing my rear pan. On the ratcheting strap technique. Are you using one strap or two? Where are you latching them on? Pic?
Thanks,
Erik

you are basically pulling the uprights closer together -- one strap is usually sufficient.
Don't pull in the spindles -- you are literally squeezing the frame together, just a little bit.

elgyqc 11-07-2023 07:55 PM

You want to place the strap above the triangle, looped around the uprights indicated by the arrow on both sides.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1699419292.jpg

eriklhayes 11-10-2023 07:32 AM

Needing help on Rear Pan install

I am not getting them to budge. Should I loosen the bolts that are attaching the brackets?
Thanks,
Erik

eriklhayes 11-10-2023 09:20 AM

It took a Pipe Bar Clamp!!

I had to use a 3/4 inch pipe bar clamp in order to get the mounts close enough to mount the pan!!
Thanks for the support.
Erik