Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Smile I had a feeling that,,,

I recently purchased a 99 Tip with about 133k`s.I couldnt get any history of the IMS being re and re until a few weeks ago and it wasnt. So, after much research I sent the car to Mantis to have the IMS ( LN ) and rear main done. As it turns out the bearing was fine. I had a feeling that it was maybe ok after the first oil change I had done.
Anyway that works done now. I also had a Mantis under pulley installed, new plugs and tubes and a new trans filter. Ouch !:dance:

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
another testament to the durability of the M96
Car was probably maintained properly and driven
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #3

The shop manager told me the M96 double row bearing with a tip seemed to be the least in failure. But that was just his opinion.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
The shop manager told me the M96 double row bearing with a tip seemed to be the least in failure. But that was just his opinion.
He is correct.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #5

Garage
I've been down sort of the same road. Except the shop I finally chose to replace my IMS turned out to be manned by jerks. Estimate to replace IMS on my 2000 2.7 with tip, was $1800.... "Are you sure?" "Absolutely! I've done plenty of um" 2 days in, it went to $2100. After being in the shop for over a week, $2800 at pick up!!!! 1 week later, axle shaft bolts sheared because of improper torque. Anyway, long story short. it took another $1200 at a more reputable shop to correct the "repairs" done at the first shop. Broken exhaust studs, damaged exhaust heat shields, Replace and re-torque axle bolts, replace axle seal damaged. Anyway sorry for the rant.

Anyway.. The reason for my reply... Is there a definitive cutoff when Porsche went from double row to single row IMS bearings? The whack job shop who did the work said I had a double row, but frankly, I have no reason to believe he can even count to two.
when the bolts went south.
daboxsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboxsta View Post
I've been down sort of the same road. Except the shop I finally chose to replace my IMS turned out to be manned by jerks. Estimate to replace IMS on my 2000 2.7 with tip, was $1800.... "Are you sure?" "Absolutely! I've done plenty of um" 2 days in, it went to $2100. After being in the shop for over a week, $2800 at pick up!!!! 1 week later, axle shaft bolts sheared because of improper torque. Anyway, long story short. it took another $1200 at a more reputable shop to correct the "repairs" done at the first shop. Broken exhaust studs, damaged exhaust heat shields, Replace and re-torque axle bolts, replace axle seal damaged. Anyway sorry for the rant.

Anyway.. The reason for my reply... Is there a definitive cutoff when Porsche went from double row to single row IMS bearings? The whack job shop who did the work said I had a double row, but frankly, I have no reason to believe he can even count to two.
I would be a little concerned about the install of the IMS...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:

What is the name of this shop?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

Garage
I don't think it would be very ethical for me to mention Greens Motorsports in Springfield VA. That just wouldn't be right..... Ooooooops!

Anyway. Anyone know about when Porsche went from the double row to single row?
daboxsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
I don't think it would be very ethical for me to mention Greens Motorsports in Springfield VA. That just wouldn't be right..... Ooooooops!

Anyway. Anyone know about when Porsche went from the double row to single row?
Depends on the Model and where it was built.

For a 2001 S built in Finland it seems to be some time after about vin(Last4 digits) serial# 1000 if I recall correctly.

You can look up the IMS lawsuit on these forums for a comprehensive list but generally if your VIN is excluded its likely because it has a dual row IMS.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:

Is there a definitive cutoff when Porsche went from double row to single row IMS bearings?
Like many things Porsche, the answer here is "no". Porsche transitions engineering design changes on the fly, so somewhere in 2000-2001 they changed over from dual to single row, which necessitates that any shop prepping a car from those model years has to take the car apart and look to see which one is actually in the car.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
You can look up the IMS lawsuit on these forums for a comprehensive list but generally if your VIN is excluded its likely because it has a dual row IMS.
Or it is too old, or the car has been resold multiple times, or it has a replacement engine, or......

I would not place a whole lot of credence on whether the car has been excluded or not.