Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

Remove Headlight Plate

My headlight does not seem to be locking in place on the passenger side anymore. After going over bumps it'll just loosen itself and the headlight will slide forward. I'd like to check out the plate and see what's wrong. Do I just thumb the 3 knobs underneath and pull it out? The back one seems a bit difficult to reach to, any pointers? thanks

tiggerkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerkick View Post
My headlight does not seem to be locking in place on the passenger side anymore. After going over bumps it'll just loosen itself and the headlight will slide forward. I'd like to check out the plate and see what's wrong. Do I just thumb the 3 knobs underneath and pull it out? The back one seems a bit difficult to reach to, any pointers? thanks
I start the same project Mon. so any pointers appreciated as well. Identical symptoms since day one, just " staying loose" now
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Are you using the headlight tool from the toolkit, or a socket/ratchet? I thought I had a broken locking mechanism when in fact the tool was just slipping on the locking bar. Used a socket and problem was solved.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #4

No - the three thumbwheels are the position adjusters to make the headlight sit properly in the space (not to be confused with aiming adjusters which are internal to the headlight itself). If you mess with these you will have a lot of playing around getting the headlight properly lined up with the fender, hood, and bumper when you put it back in.

Just undo the three nuts on top of the plate and lift it off. Don't mess with the adjusters if you can avoid it.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
I start the same project Mon. so any pointers appreciated as well. Identical symptoms since day one, just " staying loose" now
Were you able to figure out the issue? I was able to get the plate out and took a look at it. No clue why it wont lock. Took a look at the driver side as well and they both look the same but the driver side plate definitely locks when rotating the lever back and forth with just a finger.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #6

havent cracked it open yet due too an engine repair but.... i do know that my bracket is broke not allowing me to slide light in without holding the bracket from the rear thru the wheel well. The light always needs to be tighened from the frunk. sometimes I have had to play with it to get it to lock and even then it was not tight. it never slides out though. From listening to you my 2 problems may not be due to the broken bracket? Did you try the socket suggestion? I will dig around and see what up and pm you when complete. I have a new used bracket for mine I will compare the 2 and look for wear around the locking portion see if this may be our problem.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
havent cracked it open yet due too an engine repair but.... i do know that my bracket is broke not allowing me to slide light in without holding the bracket from the rear thru the wheel well. The light always needs to be tighened from the frunk. sometimes I have had to play with it to get it to lock and even then it was not tight. it never slides out though. From listening to you my 2 problems may not be due to the broken bracket? Did you try the socket suggestion? I will dig around and see what up and pm you when complete. I have a new used bracket for mine I will compare the 2 and look for wear around the locking portion see if this may be our problem.
My driver side has a physical crack in the plate but it slides in and locks fine. It almost sounds more like your plate is not tightened down and is shifting around which is causing you to have a hard time sliding the headlight in place but that wouldn't explain the locking part. My headlight only slides out about a quarter inch but it's enough for it to unseat itself and not light up at night (or flicker over bumps).

I haven't tried the socket suggestion yet because the tool does seem to work. It locks the driver side no problem and it rotates the locking mechanism without the headlight in place as well when I play around with it. I'll probably give it a try this weekend before giving up and put some money down on a new plate.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #8

pm

went to pm as to not clog thread