Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Hambone

03 Boxster OBC/cruise control install problems

Hello All,
I'm attempting to install the switch assembly with both OBC and cruise control stalks, following the directions for this upgrade in "101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster." I bought all the parts from Pelican Parts (PP). The OBC part of the project went well (assuming it works when I reattach the battery), it's the cruise part I'm having trouble with. The cruise control stalk on the switch assy has 4 wires coming into a connector, brown, yellow, black, and blue. I'm supposed to wire the connector from PP and plug it into the cruise connector with the colored wires. The directions tell me to wire slot #1 to pin #17 in the gauge cluster connector, slot 2 to fuse B7 in the main fuse panel, etc. However, the PP connector slots are not numbered, so I don't know which color wire goes to which slot in the PP connector. I've been working with a guy in PP, and we've looked at the wiring schematic for the cruise control circuit in the Bentley manual, but can't figure out which color wire goes where. The PP guy said that the connector they supplied is meant for several different applications and therefore is not numbered. Can anyone help me out? Here's a photo of the switch assembly from the cruise control stalk.
Regards,
Hambone

Hambone111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

Just done this on my car a 2002 S. I took pin 1 as the blue wire and all worked well. The pins on the OBC plug were numbered so I took it that the cruise would be wired the same way.

Last edited by mavis.d; 08-16-2014 at 09:50 AM.
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
pjq

this topic is in the DIY. here is a quick version.
The condensed wire plan is;
2003-4 Boxster Cruise:
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 17 - Stalk Connector Pin 1
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 4 - Stalk Connector Pin 3
Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 1 - Stalk Connector Pin 4
Fuse B7 - Stalk Connector Pin 2

If we are talking about this small black stalk connector plug, if you use a magnifying glass you may be able to see the number 1 and number 4 on the end of the plug in the corners.
C17 to Blue (position #1)
fuse B 7 to Black ( position #2)
C4 to Yellow (position #3)
C1 to Brown/yellow (position # 4)
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Hambone

Thanks, I tried that with my old magnifier but didn't find anything, so I bought a stronger one with a light and there they were, just where you said.

Thanks again!

Hambone
Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Hambone

Thanks, I was able to find the numbers by buying a stronger magnifier with a light. It looks like your method would work too.

Thanks again,
Hambone