Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Garage
Odd Spoiler Issue

This just started happening, and it's strange.

Spoiler light came on for the first time. Spoiler was frozen up, button did nothing. Shut the car off, restarted it, was able to manually retract the spoiler with the button. No light. Highway speeds, got off on a ramp, seemed to be working fine. No light.

Got on the next highway and as I'm starting to coast into the house, notice the light is back on and the spoiler is up again. Cycled ignition and was able to retract with the button. Did a search but didn't find a widespread issue on the forums.

Just today the light came on and I know I made it nowhere near speeds enough to even trigger the thing to start with. Spoiler was frozen up between 35-60 mph.

I've seen some threads suggesting the thing is leaking fluid. Where do I look to see if this is happening and do I just need the spoiler bracket or do I need the whole thing? Or is this caused by the speed sensor? Thoughts appreciated.

2002 2.7 with 88000.

Last edited by jdraupp; 08-15-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added car info
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #2

Came across this on Renntech. Hope it helps.

"Try the relays for the spoiler. They are #3 and #9 in the rear relay box (in the rear trunk on the left-hand side behind the carpet. Both relays are for the spoiler are #996 615 102 00. One is probably for the button and the other is probably for the automatic at speed. Swap them and see if your problem reverses (i.e. spoiler goes up on its' own but does not go up with the button). If it changes the problem, then pick up a new relay and replace the bad one. It's worth a shot before you get into real diagnostics. If that doesn't work, come back and post it and I'll give you some more exstensive diagnostics you can do. EDIT: I found the full chart on the relays. #3 is for spoiler extension and #9 is for spoiler retraction."

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote