Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Long Distance Purchases

I know some of you have purchased a car long distance. How did you handle the payment and title transfer? I'm thinking of buying a car about 30 hours drive away. (Calgary) I'm not sure if I am going to fly out and drive it back or have it shipped to me.
For those of you that have had cars shipped, how did you handle the transfer of the title and the payment. I'm not getting a loan for the car, so the bank can't help me handle it.

pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #2

I'm just thinking that if you are not confident driving a Boxster home, do you really want THAT Boxster?

You and the seller will just have to mail some documents back and forth and use an escrow company as the neutral money/document handler in between.

Its simpler/faster/cheaper to just go get the car yourself.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

It's not that expensive to fly from Toronto to Calgary - that's your best plan and then drive it back. It will zip right across the prairies no problem. You will want to check with service ontario about getting some form of trip permit - you don't want to register the car in Alberta. He can transfer to title to you out there, but you will need to get plates when you get home. They have the same banks out there as here, so payment should be no problem. And if you are worried about driving it home - why are you buying it?
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I'm just thinking that if you are not confident driving a Boxster home, do you really want THAT Boxster?

You and the seller will just have to mail some documents back and forth and use an escrow company as the neutral money/document handler in between.

Its simpler/faster/cheaper to just go get the car yourself.
It isn't about confidence, it was more about convenience. But I think you're right, I would be better off to fly out to Calgary, and drive the car back. Flights out to Calgary are only $240!!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Don't know how it works in Canada, but here is my US experience.

Last September I found my perfect Boxster--2010 base, PDK, Meteor Grey/Sand Beige--in Maryland. (I live in NY.) Drove down, had a look, put down a deposit. When I got home, I sent a certified check for the remainder, and the PO sent the title, and bill of sale. I insured the car, went to the DMV with the documents, registered the car, and was given license plates. Flew to Baltimore where the PO picked me up, and drove me to his home. Put the plates on the car, and drove the 400 miles home.

A fun drive, indeed.
FirstPorsche987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #6

just did something similar in reverse. viewed the car while in ontario. went back west and thought about it. decided to pull the trigger and bought it. mailed the cheque. got the ownership mailed back to me. owner drove it to railhead in toronto, took his plates off, loaded on a train and in calgary 12 days later. i picked it up from the shipper at the railhead, put a 5-day transit plate on it and drove it home. all good. when you get the registration put insurance on it so that it is good in transit. cost to ship was around $1k - say around the same cost as a plane ticket and gas back.

if you do decide to fly down and get it, you can go to any alberta licencing office and pick up a transit permit for like $75 for 5 days. drive it home and put ontario plates on it.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #7

ps, i don't live in calgary but there is a fellow there that owes me a favour if you would like someone to look at the car for you. i don't know of any indy shops in cal but there is a recent thread on this forum about that if you look around.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
Are you getting a PPI done first? Are you going to look at it before that even? I would suggest Lithium Autosport as they have been recommended to me to do work on my Boxster.

Yes I totally agree that if the Box is any good it should be able to make the trip to Toronto. Shipping can incur damage risks enroute. If it breaks down enroute, then you phone the seller and ask what the heck!

Cheers, Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Are you getting a PPI done first? Are you going to look at it before that even? I would suggest Lithium Autosport as they have been recommended to me to do work on my Boxster.

Yes I totally agree that if the Box is any good it should be able to make the trip to Toronto. Shipping can incur damage risks enroute. If it breaks down enroute, then you phone the seller and ask what the heck!

Cheers, Guy.
I am planning on a PPI. And if that comes back clean, I am going to buy the car. I got a quote of $1059 to ship the car from Calgary to Toronto. A plane ticket is $242! I don't think it will cost me another $800 to drive the car back. And I get a road trip out of the deal. I will call Lithium tomorrow about the PPI. And the MOT about a trip permit. Here is a pic of the car.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
recycledsixtie

Garage
Pony ask to see the receipts for work done, parts purchased etc.. Use the PPI as a negotiation tool if some work is required to lower the asking price. I got $3k off the asking price after my PPI was done. If the car is really bad don't buy as it may not make the drive home. There are lots of Boxsters out there so patience is essential.

Make sure everything works before the PPI. eg . Does the top go up and down? Does the air cond. work? Tires in good shape? Windows go up and down? Have the PPI man check the oil filter for metal. See my comment above in "thinking of buying a Boxster".

Any accident damage?
Cheers, Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Pony ask to see the receipts for work done, parts purchased etc.. Use the PPI as a negotiation tool if some work is required to lower the asking price. I got $3k off the asking price after my PPI was done. If the car is really bad don't buy as it may not make the drive home. There are lots of Boxsters out there so patience is essential.

Make sure everything works before the PPI. eg . Does the top go up and down? Does the air cond. work? Tires in good shape? Windows go up and down? Have the PPI man check the oil filter for metal. See my comment above in "thinking of buying a Boxster".

Any accident damage?
Cheers, Guy.
Completely clean car proof! No accidents. The price will be set after my final inspection, but is already a good price for an 02. I saw a car today in Ontario, same year same colour, with about 20000 more KM, and they are asking $6000 more.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #12

Purchased my 01 S sort of by accident on e-bay from private party. Threw out a max bid $4K below retail and won. Made $500 deposit via PayPal and FedEx'ed a cashiers check to the seller.

Called the seller and asked about condition, would he feel confident driving it long distance, and he replied, "Heck yes." I flew from Milwaukee to Sacramento. A friend there drove me the 80+ miles North to Chico, and I spent the next three days driving home.

With a clean PPI, I'd recommend going to get it. You'll save some money, have a great time, really get acquainted with your Boxster, and have a great story to tell family, friends, the forum and anybody who asks about your Boxster.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
I know some of you have purchased a car long distance. How did you handle the payment and title transfer? I'm thinking of buying a car about 30 hours drive away. (Calgary) I'm not sure if I am going to fly out and drive it back or have it shipped to me.
For those of you that have had cars shipped, how did you handle the transfer of the title and the payment. I'm not getting a loan for the car, so the bank can't help me handle it.
Fellow Canadian here. Bought mine in Santa Monica, California and drove it all the way back to Ottawa, ON. Trip of a lifetime and the car ran perfectly. Miss that trip a lot.

I put down a deposit and hired a company to do an onsite inspection of the car and a PPI at a dealer. Everything came out pretty much clean (other than an old MAF, that I replaced before drying back home). Owner put new tires for me, new plastic window, etc. Car was indeed amazing.

Once I got to California we went to the bank so he could get his money and get the paperwork done and he then Fedexed me the title (as it would take 2 days in CA) to Port Huron. By the time I got there the title was waiting for me and as we had faxed it to the border I had no issues doing the import into Canada.

Go and get the car! Drive it back. You will not regret and it will be for sure a great drive.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #14

I was in Calgary a few weeks ago and I was checking the prices of Boxsters on Auto Trader. I looked like they were , on the average about 3 grand more than in Ontario but, that was asking prices.
If you decide to ship it try calling TFX in Toronto. They deliver race cars and high end cars in a closed race-car trailer. They may have a truck out west coming back to TO.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
I was in Calgary a few weeks ago and I was checking the prices of Boxsters on Auto Trader. I looked like they were , on the average about 3 grand more than in Ontario but, that was asking prices.
If you decide to ship it try calling TFX in Toronto. They deliver race cars and high end cars in a closed race-car trailer. They may have a truck out west coming back to TO.
[[/I]

That is what I was told when I started looking for my car. But that really hasn't been the case. Kijji Alberta had some really well priced cars, and most of them have sold because the adds are gone.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #16

ya drive it back - temp permit in Alberta is likely the easiest.

OR

Pay for it in full if you're that confidant, get the title fedexed to you and get insurance. Go to MTO office, get Trip permit (plates with T sticker) which is good for 10-days, hop a flight to Calgary and rock it back in your name on your plates.

https://www.google.ca/flights/
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
ya drive it back - temp permit in Alberta is likely the easiest.

OR

Pay for it in full if you're that confidant, get the title fedexed to you and get insurance. Go to MTO office, get Trip permit (plates with T sticker) which is good for 10-days, hop a flight to Calgary and rock it back in your name on your plates.

https://www.google.ca/flights/
I called Alberta, a 10 day travel permit is $25. The car goes for it's PPI Thursday morning. So if that goes well, I will fly out and drive my new baby back home!!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #18

Fours years ago I bought my 2002S online and sent a deposit. Car was in Austin, TX so I flew out inspected and drove the car. Paid by certified check did the paper work and drove 900 miles back to Tallahassee. The only issue I had was to stop and buy a hat to keep from getting sunburned.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #19

Garage
I drove mine back from Atlanta after putting a deposit on it subject to inspection. The car was better than I expected and spent 5 days driving it home(took the long way home). Had a great time, you won't regret driving it back. Good luck on the PPI
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
I called Alberta, a 10 day travel permit is $25. The car goes for it's PPI Thursday morning. So if that goes well, I will fly out and drive my new baby back home!!
Awesome! Should be a sweet drive

mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote