Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Bleeder valve

Hola

I've been having an issue with condensation in the trunk, isolated to the area directly over the coolant/oil fill caps. The tank/bleeder is new - installed with my IMS in April.

Replaced the cap, same problem. i put my ear to it as it was cooling and i could hear it coming from the bleeder assembly, so I ordered the o-rings from Pelican.

I removed the zillion screws that hold it on and it came right up, contrary to what I'd been led to believe from a post at rennlist. There were no o-rings at all that I could see. The tank is aftermarket? Anyway, all I could do was put some flexible Permatex on the flange and reassemble it. It's drying right now, I'll pressure test it tomorrow.

Anyone else pulled the bleeder and found something that doesn't require O-rings?

TIA

Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Pictures would help

I've never seen one without an Oring in place. I have seen the O-ring stuck to the bottom of the bleeder.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #3

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

That's what I saw .. but how do you get the part with the fingers out?
Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #5

Gee Brad, you could have referred him to the last time you ran into this....

My first Question, Bleeder Valve?
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #6

Unfortunately, the post at rennlist had dead links to most of the photos so I didn't realize that the bleeder body was sandwiched between the cover and the tank.

Anyway, got both off and replace the o-rings. Though the larger one appeared to have been installed with a spiral in it, they didn't appear damaged.

Put everything back together, left the permatex in place..... and I still have condensation. I just hate the cooling system on these engines, it's the worst ever invented.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Gee Brad, you could have referred him to the last time you ran into this....
I've slept since then..

FYI: I'm not impressed with the black caps. I think they blow off easier (have a lower pressure setting) than the Blue caps *think*.

I would not have used ANY sealant on this during the install. Matter of fact? I would made damn sure it had NONE.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #8

The sealant is only between the bleeder body and that cap, not between the body and the tank. No biggie.