Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #1

02 boxster basic sound system door speaker help

Hi guys,

Just a quick one I've just got my first boxster its a 2002 2.7 manual, i believe its the standard car so only has the two dash speakers, now I'm going to swap them out for some alpines and get a new head unit thats the east part, but my main question is, because my boxster doesn't have the door speakers is it an easy mod to fit some? Just thinking a couple of small speakers one in each door 5.25" or something just to get a little more bass as the dash speakers are being replaced with 4" units.

Cheers.

By the way its a 2002 uk car if that matters.

Samp4856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:09 AM   #2

I had the same set up and it was the worst sounding stereo in a car I've heard in a long time. I had a stereo shop replace the head unit, add a 4 channel amp, replace the dash speakers with some Alpine units and add some Infinity 6 inch component door speakers (and their cross overs). The inside of the doors were also covered in dynamat for better sound and no vibrations.
I love the way it sounds now. Here's what the component speakers look like installed.

Last edited by Dave S.; 08-02-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #3

that basically what I want to do to mine,

do you know if the wiring is already there? or did they need to put it in for you?

thanks.
Samp4856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

There were no speaker wires in the doors. The installer basically re-did everything as he needed to wire in the amplifier and speaker cross-overs anyway.
It looks like he drilled a hole in the body to bring the wires into the door hinge area through a round grommet, and then went into the door through a new hole in the bottom of the rubber seal that houses the factory wires where they enter the door. Clear as mud? Here are a couple of pictures.
This pic shows where the speaker wires come out of the body going to the door. ( the image is the right side door, and is rotated 90 degrees to the left for some reason)

This pic shows how the wires enter the door. ( also right side door but rotated 90 degrees to the left for some reason).

Here's the amp and crossovers in the trunk. I made a cover out of plywood with vents and some spacer blocks that goes over the amp to form a false floor so you can still put stuff in there without smothering it.

Last edited by Dave S.; 08-03-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote