Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

Custom PSE

I read about the Porsche Sport Exhaust and want to make my own version of it for my 2001 S. I was planning on installing headers with 200 cell sport cats, catless test pipes and the ebay catback. Then, in between the headers and the test pipe I would install this: 2" ELECTRIC EXHAUST CUTOUT VALVE WITH W/ REMOTE CONTROL. Now I am not looking to make this like an exhaust cutout where I can switch between stock and a straight pipe; it will all be in the same pipe. How I think it would work in my head is the same in other cars which have this type if mechanism stock: the more you open the valve the louder it gets and visa versa. A few problems I might face is:
1. The gas coming out of the headers would be too hot and destroy the butterfly valve
2. It is too far up the system and closing the valve even slightly will harm te engine
3. With this in between the pipes, it will push the whole exhaust system forward and that could lead to fitment issues.
4. It might not make any difference at all.

Before I spend my time and money on this I was hoping I could get some feedback from member that are more knowledgable in this field than I am. Thank you.

PS: I was looking to get the PSE switch but I can't find he part number. If you know it please share. Thanks.

818BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

skip the cutout valves and complications...

95% of PSE owners wish they could keep it loud all the time... the other 5% lie (yeah adapted from another colloquialism but true here too).

The more complicated you make it, the more problems you WILL have. Just do cats first and if not loud enough add some bypass pipes or also change the can(s).

Good luck
Old 07-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #3

- put the cats on your mid-pipes - further downstream for better flow, and probably less expensive.
- probably no room where the headers meet the mid-pipes for the cut-outs (lots of suspension happening there).
- think about putting the cut-outs where the mid-pipes attach to the muffler - there is a u-pipe there that could get repurposed.
- look at pneumatic cut-outs - this way you can use the same solenoid that activates the flapper in your intake (just like the oem pse); the valve opens and high rpm but shuts at idle and low rpm.
- do some research on electric cut-outs; my understanding is that they have a finite lifetime - pneumatic valves are more proven (same actuator as used on turbo wastegates).

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote