Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #21

Garage
Talked to the PO last night.

I've always thought the car is so strong and smooth for 90k miles so after chatting a bit about what I've done to it and how the car is so far, I asked what he did to it before I got it.

Turns out it had 2 engine replacements because of the dual row IMS failing twice, and that an older grandma used to own it before him........

...........just kidding.

An older lady did own it before him though for the first 60k miles and when he got it, he put lots of money into it for PM, like new oxygen sensors, MAF, german wool glass top ( ) tires, brakes etc. I almost forgot to ask about the spliced MAF wires, then he brought up that he bought a 'chip' (resistor) that splices the MAF wires and gives +65 HP (-20HP and -5MPG). He then mentioned that the shop he always took it to told him "you have the e-throttle, you dont need that resistor trick, it wont work"... :facepalm: ...its a 99.. Its been out of the car since before I owned it so no big deal now.

Interesting though, he was not the PCA member, the grandma before him was! Maybe she is some kind of super grandma.

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #22

Garage
OH I forgot to mention...

If any of you have seen my other endless posts about a whine type noise that I cannot for the life of me get rid of (almost like a supercharger whine while accelerating, most noticeable under load at 70mph in 5th), the end of the story is now here.

I didn't even have to bring it up, the guy said "it used to make this whine sound, a little louder than all my buddies boxsters, and I kinda liked it".

To which I replied "like straight cut gears or a supercharger while accelerating?"

Yep, it did it for him too. He said the guys at the shop thought it was fine (they also thought it had e-throttle), and given the fact that I have extinguished all avenues of hope without pulling the engine out, I am no longer concerned. The sound hasn't changed in many months, so I suppose I'll leave it at that.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #23

I tried a few times to contact the PO of my car but he wont pickup or respond to v messages ? Car runs great not pissed at him.
On the other hand. I sold a car to a gentleman, fixerupper non Porsche.He did fix it and gave it to his grandson.How do you I know this ? He e-mailed everything he did in detail step by step with numerous e-mails.
Dude drove me nuts.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #24
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Last year I was able to locate the current owner of my first Porsche, a 1953 Porsche America coupe that I purchased in 1974 and sold in 1976.

The car has since been sold to a collector, and I offered my contact info in case the new owner wishes to get more historical insight into his vintage Porsche.
Just discovered that the "collector" flipped the car after less than a year of ownership.

And it sold for quite a tidy sum:

Featured Listing - 1953 Porsche 356 Pre-A Coupe For Sale

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #25

A bit off topic but I once got a call from the cops after a car I sold was used in an armed robbery..
Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Just discovered that the "collector" flipped the car after less than a year of ownership.

And it sold for quite a tidy sum:

Featured Listing - 1953 Porsche 356 Pre-A Coupe For Sale

TO
That is heartbreakingly sexy!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #27
recycledsixtie

Garage
As an ex owner there is no harm in trying to contact the previous owner. Here is the take on my being an ex owner. I sold my 2001 Box cheaply with a steady CEL light on.
New owner calls back and asks if I have the original Porsche mats. I say yes so come and get them.

Then he texts me later and asks for my permission to release service info from my indy shop. I was not willing to release it on the grounds that he got the car cheap and I don't want any more of my info released that is necessary. I did not respond to the text.

I don't know if he is a flipper of cars or whether he wants to add to his collection(the latter seems to be a good line lately if I have been trying to sell something of value).

To the original thread poster there is no harm in trying.

Guy
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #28

A cpl of wks ago was the 2nd anniverary of me purchasing my CSS. I had almost bought it months earlier but the seller backed out, so I know it was hard for him to part with it when I bought it. I debated about contacting him but I thought I'd let him know I still had her and mentioned that I'd gone to Parade in Monterey this yr. Also included my pic of HPP next to my car. He sent back a response and said he missed that car like a child. He had recently bought a 991 in Mexico Blue. Then he added if I ever wanted to sell my car, he'd buy it back.

He'll have to get in line, as there are already 4 ppl in front on him. But she's not for sale.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #29

A few weeks ago, I got a PM from the board member on this list who bought my 2000 Boxster S that I had traded in to a dealership for 2010 Boxster S. I had no problem answering his questions and was glad to see that the car went to a good home.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
I found a cell phone under the drivers seat of my 1999 Boxster after I bought 3 years ago. I charged it up and contacted the owner. She was the first owner of the car, I was the third. Apparently, the second owner never bothered to look under the seat. She was very excited to hear I found the phone. She had no idea where she lost it. I returned it to her and she mailed me all the maintenance records on the car from 0-63,000 miles. (It had 76,000 on the odometer when I bought it) I learned a ton of information, most important was the fact that the motor was replaced at 30,000 miles under warranty!
Similar to my 99, engine factory replacement in 2008 with 37kmiles on original engine.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
I know nothing about the history of my 99 boxst (I bought it from a guy who bought it from auction and flipped it), except that the PPO(not the guy who bought it to flip it) got an oil change from the #1 bay area porsche shop (one sales receipt in the registration booklet), he was in PCA (sticker in windshield) and that he also had a magnetic oil drain plug put in.

I DO however have his old registration (??) with his phone number and address etc.

So, do I call him and ask if he wants to share some information, or will he hangup and call the police on me for having his phone number and address??

I tried facebook etc but there are too many people with his name in my area.

What would you do?
I would call. As the previous owner I would have no issues with providing whatever I could to help the new owner. That is like gold in my mind.
I purchased a Volvo years ago and shortly after that a humming sound started from the rear end. I found the previous owners information in the car, used that information to call a dealership in that city and asked some questions about the car before I took it back to the dealership I purchased it from. It came in handy. This was before the Inter web made privacy big.