Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Should I pull the Trigger

Hi All,
Feels like I have been hunting for a Boxster forever, and have come across this one. It's a 98, with 135000 kilos on the clock. Pretty clean car, brand new tires and plastic window. Third owner car, and he only has the service records for the period of his ownership. Upgraded Audio system with Bluetooth, and the car drives really well!
He wants $11K for it certified and etested. He won't come down below that. My concern is that the IMS, and clutch have not been touched in the car, so I'm looking at $3k almost the moment I sign the papers!!
Would you?

pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #2

i think it is a bit expensive. I follow the market pretty close (kijiji - alberta) at you can get a 2000S for that money with patience.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Yeah, it's about $3,500 too much for a car with that mileage... unless he can show you receipts where he has RECENTLY replaced:

Oxygen Sensors
Coolant Overflow tank
Wheel Bearings
Upper/Lower Control Arms
Struts
Water Pump
Front Engine Mount
etc.

The IMS may not be anything to worry about compared to the stuff above. Despite what you read, less than 5% of Boxsters have IMS problems. While some guys wear out a clutch in 40k miles, other guys can make them last for decades of driving. It all depends on how much abuse it's seen. All of the above parts wears out super fast in a German car, FAR faster than any other kind of vehicle you've owned before.

Keep looking for one with lower miles (they are out there) or one like mine that's had a butt-load of work done to it to justify paying full tilt retail. In fact, you should set your sights higher and start looking for a 2000 model S or younger. It's worth waiting and saving more money. Trust me on this. The 2.5 is simply underpowered for the car.

And budget about $2000 a year no matter what you buy for repairs and maintenance. Heck, the rear tires can wear out in 12,000 miles

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-21-2014 at 01:02 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #4

Actually RK, there is one in Edmonton now. It is not an S, but it looks like all the right work has been done, including the IMS. They are asking $11 OBO.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #5

it is odd - I just went through a tour of kijiji - ontario and asking prices are higher than in alberta. usually it is the other way around as they are a bit rarer in alberta and don't see as much salt. the oil patch kids tend to flip their toys pretty frequently, however.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #6

Garage
Not sure if your market but here that is an 8k car after a bit if haggling
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

I'm pretty convinced you aren't buying a 986 as an investment. Sometimes when you want/need something, price isn't a very strong decision factor. Especially when it comes to boyz toys, adv tooling, or super fun roadsters

Its the car you want? the color you feel for, well maintained, you are confident with it, its 3k more... WHO CARES, you'll loose that cash on something else eventually anyway.

ps; cars are always expansive, but you only get that feeling when you are shopping for them. The fix comes pretty rapid, faster when you'll get to drive that boxster for the first time. PRICELESS buddy!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #8

Garage
That's pretty well the going rate here in Toronto for that car, the cheapest one I saw this spring was $9000, as is, and very, very rough shape.
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #9

His asking price is $12k, and that is the cheapest decent Boxster in the Auto trader in Ontario. I don't have a problem with 2k a year to service the car, just trying to avoid over paying for the car, and then having to throw a bunch of money into it!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
Hi All,
Feels like I have been hunting for a Boxster forever, and have come across this one. It's a 98, with 135000 kilos on the clock. Pretty clean car, brand new tires and plastic window. Third owner car, and he only has the service records for the period of his ownership. Upgraded Audio system with Bluetooth, and the car drives really well!
He wants $11K for it certified and etested. He won't come down below that. My concern is that the IMS, and clutch have not been touched in the car, so I'm looking at $3k almost the moment I sign the papers!!
Would you?

3K right off the top? First - get a PPI! Trust me - I wish I had and I'm paying for it right now. As well, as someone stated earlier, the IMS only hit about 5% so why would you change it out? Get a magnetic oil plug and check it and the filter now and then. The IMS will self-diagnose itself with those metal shavings. As for price, I just bought an 02 for under 12K with 140,000kms on it - so I think your 11 for a 98 is a bit high still? I bought mine in southern Ontario.
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #11

There were a handful of decent 2.5s and 2.7s this spring in Ontario for under 12. .
Seems high. If it were me, I'd try to get at least the 3k it needs off the top.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
His asking price is $12k, and that is the cheapest decent Boxster in the Auto trader in Ontario. I don't have a problem with 2k a year to service the car, just trying to avoid over paying for the car, and then having to throw a bunch of money into it!
Overpaying? Hmmmm lets see, $65,000 -12,000= $53,000/16 years = 3,312/yr depreciation.

Boxsters Bottom out price-wise at around $9K for a decent working car so you are 1 year away from the depreciation stopping altogether, and so the $2-3k you have to spend to make the car last 2-5 years longer is a bargain really.

If you buy it as a second car so you can have it down for work now and then without inconvenience (Not considering the serious withdrawl symptoms)
its really a good buy IF it is in the color and engine size you will love.

If you read these forums you will see folks modding their cars for thousands to try gain a few horsepower here and there, so trust in what they are implying, that more power is better, and the smart buyer will wait for an "S" model that would be no more than $1k more than a standard model.

If I were you I'd wait for an "S" and make $15k your budget for it.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #13

Garage
Pricing on Used anything is always about inventory relative to demand
- How patient you can be also determines the price you are willing to pay

+1 on 'S' model (I'm biased)
My main considerations are that I don't have to fork out for basics right away:
Good tires, Brakes, Top, no imminent repairs before driving
I want to buy and drive then start on the list of replace for piece of mind items
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #14

An S just showed up in Montreal, in the colour I like. They are asking $11900 for it. It has 161000 Kilos on the clock. Has anyone in Montreal heard of Highline Auto Cars? That is the dealer that has the car.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #15

Uh oh, whats that stream of liquid coming out from under the engine?

Don't forget the Pre Purchase Inspection with every Boxster, it can be a bargaining tool and save you $$$$.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #16

could be from the A/C.... or ... lol
edit: just looked at ad, there's a rain puddle on the other side of car. Poor choice of spot to take a photo ..

Gotta watch for accident repair cars in Quebec. It's a whole other country over there. Hell, they don't even need to get a safety inspection when changing owners.

Last edited by mikeman; 07-23-2014 at 06:39 AM.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #17

For sure on the PPI. That many KMs - good chance it will need some suspension work if not already done (learned the hard way myself. Get those CVs checked! The hood and trunk - is that a wrap on there?
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #18
Toppy

Garage
I believe it is about the love for the car, if it is the colour and options that you want, then the price is right, last year I purchased a 99 Arena Red with factory wood dash and trim, 58,000 kilometers. I know I paid $3,000 more than a similar model with fewer options also for sale, but fell in love when I saw it. Sometimes it is not always about the $$$ but enjoying what you have.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #19

Toppy, I know what you mean! I drove a 2000 today, black with terracotta red interior!! I love it!! It is probably $2k more than the market price, but I'm going to take it for a PPI!!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #20
Toppy

Garage
I hope the PPI works out for you, post some pics if you get it.