Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

Garage
durametric weird values

Last night and this morning I was fiddling with a durametric (thanks shehardy) and the cam deviation was the main value I was after.

First, when I plugged the durametric in, it didnt auto-discover my type of car/ecu type so I put it all in manually, 1999 5.* engine control software...this is the first weird thing

Then, we started playing with the ability to turn stuff on and off ('Activations'). Some worked, like all of the cluster related things, but none worked for the engine activation...second weird thing.

Then I started looking at 'Actual Values' of the engine stuff, and most seemed to be fine, EXCEPT for cam deviation. (The cam deviation actual value checkbox to enable them are labeled 'Camshaft position 1 deviation' and 'camshaft position 2 deviation (USA models only) ...which seemed weird). What is 'position 1'?? Bank 1??

Now the value COULD be fine, but it seemed awefully suspicious that both were at -3.0 exactly, when the car was hot. So I let it cool and this morning I looked again at cold start up, and -3.0 exactly again.

Is -3.0 some default number if the durametric can't get real data, or is it probably true that, even though other activations don't work, the cam reading is real?

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #2

I have the same issue with my Durametric turning on systems, suspect it the sequence in which I am hooking it up. Still, I have not had issues with the actual values. My deviations are at 6 and 3. I suspect yours are correct values and those look good, and they are stable....
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Garage
Thanks. Do yours change at all when warm versus cold?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

A little bit, if any.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #5

IIRC, the hot v cold value differences are far more pronounced when the car has variocams.

There is no default cam deviation value.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #6

Garage
Well variocam is written on each valve cover and I have the variocam sensors that bolt up to each side...plus all m96 engines have variocam...right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
There is no default cam deviation value.
Spec is +/- 6.0 degrees
Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #8

Garage
durametric weird values

And I suppose I should he happy with -3.0 on both sides. But some people have to the hundredths of accuracy and mine are just .0. What are the odds that both banks are exactly the same to two decimal places? 1/100,000?

OR is it that Shehadehd's 2000 with the 7.2 software report double digit accuracy and the 5.x software only reports single digit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Spec is +/- 6.0 degrees
Hello JFP,

Somehow I am concerned with the position of the decimal point, does this picture looks Ok with you?

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #10

Garage
I have never seen 4 decimal places. Durametric software could be doing fancy things with the cars reported value like rounding to different places depending on the reading. a <1 degree reading might report 4 decimal places, but thats the only reason I can think of why it would change reading to reading.

What year do you have?

Also, runjmc, are your readings 6.0 and 3.0, or some other decimal value?

Last edited by epapp; 07-30-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
I have never seen 4 decimal places. Durametric software could be doing fancy things with the cars reported value like rounding to different places depending on the reading. a <1 degree reading might report 4 decimal places, but thats the only reason I can think of why it would change reading to reading.

What year do you have?

Also, runjmc, are your readings 6.0 and 3.0, or some other decimal value?
Epapp: My car is an '07 Cayman S
Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #12

Garage
interesting...

Something tells me the amount of precision has increased with newer engines/MY/ecu software
Old 07-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello JFP,

Somehow I am concerned with the position of the decimal point, does this picture looks Ok with you?

I would not be concerned, the late software versions tend to go out further in decimal places as you approach zero.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I would not be concerned, the late software versions tend to go out further in decimal places as you approach zero.
JFP, Thank you for the confirmation!