Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #1

PPI in La Mesa, Ca

Wondering if anyone has used Dennis Sherman Foreign Car Service for a P-car PPI, and if so did they do a thorough job ?

tdubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Never heard of him, but there's Black Forest in Kearny Mesa (PCASDR sponsored shop for years, I use), Dieters downtown (also used), and Volkers in Santee.
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #3

Dennis has a nice shop but I've never used him for an inspection.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
what are you looking at buying?

it ain't real unless there are pictures
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

PPI in La Mesa, CA

JayG,
Looking at pursuing a 2000 S with 60K miles. Have only communicated with owner via e-mail and have not personally seen the car other than photos. He is 2nd owner (bought it with 7k miles) and sounds like he has taken very good care. I am in OC so logistics are a challenge but am trying to get down to see it and schedule PPI. The Dennis Sherman shop is very close by. Almost everything is still original including IMSB so am aware I am looking at replacing some" stuff" in next 5-20K miles, but anticipate that. IMS lawsuit says VIN does not qualify car to be included in suit, so am hoping this indicates it has double row stock bearing. I'm 66 years old and this is a bucket list item. This site has been immensely helpful in educating me with regard to these cars. Keep up the good work.
tdubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubdub View Post
JayG,
Looking at pursuing a 2000 S with 60K miles. Have only communicated with owner via e-mail and have not personally seen the car other than photos. He is 2nd owner (bought it with 7k miles) and sounds like he has taken very good care. I am in OC so logistics are a challenge but am trying to get down to see it and schedule PPI. The Dennis Sherman shop is very close by. Almost everything is still original including IMSB so am aware I am looking at replacing some" stuff" in next 5-20K miles, but anticipate that. IMS lawsuit says VIN does not qualify car to be included in suit, so am hoping this indicates it has double row stock bearing. I'm 66 years old and this is a bucket list item. This site has been immensely helpful in educating me with regard to these cars. Keep up the good work.
sounds like a nice car. Hopefully he has the service records as well. A while back I was looking at one and the the guy was the 2nd owner and he said he threw the records away. BIG RED FLAG. Why would anyone throw away service records unless they shown a problem that was not addressed.

I got mine a few months ago and it has been a blast driving. Don't get all wigged out about IMS issues. IMHO (for what its worth) if the car has been driven and maintained, the likelihood is lower that you will have a problem. I don't lose sleep over it, but will have mine replaced when the clutch is done.

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote