986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The new pony war champ (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53176-new-pony-war-champ.html)

rp17 07-12-2014 07:39 AM

The new pony war champ

Ran across this new Challenger Hellcat. Putting out some outrageous HP numbers. 707 HP:eek::eek: They really need to work on the suspension ofcourse. But very impressive.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat | car review @ Top Speed

Slate 01 07-12-2014 07:55 AM

Just wait for the Challenger Hello Kitty, if you think the the Hellcat is awesome;)

BIGJake111 07-12-2014 10:02 AM

I wonder if the carbon fiber is still fake ;)

rp17 07-12-2014 08:42 PM

As the saying goes...you cant buy happiness but you can but horse power and thats kinda the same thing. Im surprised at these numbers they keep squeaking out.

@jake You might find some Boxsters with the fake carbon fiber. Its everywhere.

thstone 07-13-2014 06:56 AM

While these kinds of numbers are truly impressive (700hp+!!!!), the horsepower wars are just about over. What's next - 1000hp? 1200? At some point it starts to become a marketing number.

In my experience, 400-450hp is about the max you can use on the street and even this will put you well into "going-to-jail-speeds" (at least here in California) if you simply wind out third gear.

And even if you took it to the track, what's the point of passing other cars with 300, 400, or even 500 less horsepower?

Top_Ramen 07-13-2014 07:22 AM

Not a big mopar fan, but this car I like very much. My inner drag racer is absolutely drooling over this car. On top the numbers it's putting down and quality parts on the car, rumours are that the car will be selling for around $80k which is not bad at all.

Top_Ramen 07-13-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 409768)

In my experience, 400-450hp is about the max you can use on the street and even this will put you well into "going-to-jail-speeds" (at least here in California) if you simply wind out third gear.

These guys don't seem to think so./lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBc3yM1D6Wk

BIGJake111 07-13-2014 09:32 AM

I mean yes the numbers are impressive, however it is not that hard to simply make a ton of horsepower. It is way harder to make a good car though. If I happened to want a car like this I would go with AMG though.

BYprodriver 07-13-2014 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=rp17;409671]Ran across this new Challenger Hellcat. Putting out some outrageous HP numbers. 707 HP:eek::eek: They really need to work on the suspension ofcourse. But very impressive.

Awesome car! Don't forget the Shelby Super Snake 1000 HP

thstone 07-13-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all_mota (Post 409771)
These guys don't seem to think so./lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBc3yM1D6Wk

Definitely hitting some "going-to-jail-speeds"!

Pdwight 07-13-2014 09:44 PM

If...If...IF

If I had the money and I wanted a killer car I would buy a Nismo GTR...you would have to spend 200 grand or better to top that car....From with I have read the Super Snake is a death trap waiting to happen...too much HP and a live axle ??!!!

jb92563 07-14-2014 08:46 AM

Having all that power and not being able to stick down to the road is a waste.

Sure you can make a lot of smoke and chew up tires, but that is only fun until you need to buy more tires.

A rocket sled is fast in a straight line too, but a boring uncomfortable experience at best.

Sorry folks but we bought Boxsters to do cornering and turning with the top down and the wind blowing through our hair, way more fun!:D

Pdwight 07-14-2014 08:53 AM

Well put jb:cheers:

RandallNeighbour 07-14-2014 08:58 AM

For some reason this thread reminds me of a conversation with the wife over paying wads of extra money for high thread count sheets for the bed. They're coming out with crazy numbers that either aren't accurate or aren't worth the effort.

Give me a really well engineered sports car with half the HP of the top motors and I'll be happy as a clam.

The Radium King 07-14-2014 09:28 AM

with the new camaro, the mustang boss 302, the new vette, etc., your car has to be able to turn to win the pony wars these days. which is good for racing, but takes some of our excuses away - we used to be able to say 'yeah the boxster is underpowered but the mid-engine configuration, suspension, brakes, yada yada, make it faster in the corners ...". no longer; these cars turn as good as us and have more power. about all you can try and do now is outlast them.

RandallNeighbour 07-14-2014 09:50 AM

Radium, "outlast them" means be a better driver in my book. I regularly see Miatas lapping Turbos at the track because they're just so much better in the corners.

I aspire to be a Miata driver one day... even if I'm not driving a Miata.

The Radium King 07-14-2014 10:11 AM

well, the gtr is a beast on the track ... for five laps until the differentials start to overheat. these pony cars are still heavy and can overdrive their brakes relatively easily in stock form. a well set-up boxster seems to handle heat pretty good; i'm still turning when the faster cars are going home with heat-related ailments (the worst is the jap tuner cars constantly blowing turbos and coolant hoses and greasing up the track). funny that these road tests that you read in the magazines never really torture test the cars for 40 laps - you might see different results in say a z-28 / porsche comparison if they did. I mean, is that dodge still going to be making 700 hp after 40 minutes at redline?

rp17 07-14-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 409848)
If I had the money and I wanted a killer car I would buy a Nismo GTR

Godzilla is a fine mobile. That car is truly impressive.

Nine8Six 07-14-2014 10:26 AM

Pure American Energy this is. Majestic

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...t-4_800x0w.jpg

powerful stuff man.... not much else to say ;)

rp17 07-14-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 409891)
Give me a really well engineered sports car with half the HP of the top motors and I'll be happy as a clam.

I'm sure all of us Boxster owners feel this. Reason we bought this car so I agree. I just get caught up on how much trouble it is to get some serious HP out of the M96, then you hear about about this Hellcat. I don't want 707 but I would take half in the Box for a REASONABLE price. :ah:

Just hate the HP game Porshe plays with us that's all. For example, I hate what GM for example, does with there cars. Back in the day, the best technology would never make it to Chevy or Pontiac for example. It would go to the Cadillac even if it was a Chevy engineer that came up with it. But I guess I can understand. :ah: