986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Weird electrical problems (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53163-weird-electrical-problems.html)

roland3337 07-11-2014 11:33 AM

Weird electrical problems

Hello everyone.

I have a 2002 Boxster (61 k miles, non-S), and it is acting weird. When stopped at a local gas station, I turned off the ignition to fill up. When I was ready to leave, I turned the key, and nothing happened. :mad: The red and amber dash lights and instruments came on as normal (no flickering), but the engine did not turn over. No clicking sounds...nothing.

I tried push starting, but that didn't work. When I was about to give up and call a tow truck, I turned the key and it started back up normally. When I got home, I did some research about this kind of thing, and found that the culprit was likely to be the ignition switch.

I read up on how to replace it, and I got under the dash and unplugged the switch and tried to extract it. I'm a larger guy with longish arms, and I could not get to the two little screws with the tool I had (too long to fit into that little space). I reconnected the switch, and put everything back together.

Then other new problems developed: Windows would not go down, and a horn starting randomly honking (two short beeps every 30 seconds or so.)

I intend to get in there and replace that switch, since it is a cheap fix, but I am wondering if there could be something else going on?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...Roland3337

epapp 07-11-2014 11:58 AM

Probably nothing else going on. The switch has been accountable in the past for all kinds of spiritual activity.

I'm thinking a new one will solve your problems.

particlewave 07-11-2014 11:59 AM

Sounds like the switch to me, though your horn issue may or may not be related.
It is not uncommon to have worn bushing on the airbag retaining frame, which will cause the horn to go off at random, but especially over bumps or when jarred.

Spinnaker 07-11-2014 08:22 PM

If you haven't seen this thread, it shows a different way to change out the switch from the dash vent area instead of from underneath.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap-2.html

roland3337 07-12-2014 01:14 PM

Guys, thanks for the responses, but I think I may have figured it out. Might not be the ignition switch after all. I noticed that my floor is wet, and I then found a plugged drain behind the driver's seat. It seems there are some electronics under the driver's seat that got damp. Hope the unit (immobilizer?) isn't shorted out. I will take out the seat and dry everything off, and see if that brings my friend back to health. I had no friggin' idea those drains were there, and that they could make such a problem if the got plugged up.

particlewave 07-12-2014 01:36 PM

If it's not too much trouble, you should pull the immobilizer out and open it up so that it can dry better. This will also allow you to inspect for any rust or corrosion damage. Almost certainly, the wire connectors will need to be cleaned up with some contact cleaner.

Paul 07-12-2014 05:04 PM

Where was the drain that was plugged, picture if possible?

roland3337 07-13-2014 05:45 AM

The drain behind the driver's seat under the top was the one that was plugged. I put my finger in there, and felt the crap that had accumulated. If I'd put the cover on it that I bought some months ago, the recent rain storms we've had would not have bothered it. I cleaned it out using a bit of insulated wire, since I don't have an air compressor at home. I will be working on it today to extract the immobilizer, and I will post a pic. I've got my fingers crossed that drying it out will solve the problem, because it is a damned expensive repair.