Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #1

Quality of door speakers

In the 2002 base model w/ CD player, how much sound should I be getting out of the door speakers (assuming those are, in fact, speakers at the front bottom of the door panel)?

I'm getting plenty of sound from the front but the sides seem to be extremely faint, even with the balance pushed all the way left and/or right.

(And would you even bother getting this checked? Do those speakers significantly improve the quality of the sound?)

MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

those are subwoofers, not speakers.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Garage
You won't get much sound out of the door speakers, they are subwoofers. There are threads about upgrading your speakers with great suggestions for minimal cost. Here is what I did with my door speakers:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49796-found-6-5-speakers-fit-door-without-mods.html
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #4

@tuanle16: Thanks... now I feel a little foolish.

I'm saving the links for the speaker upgrades -- there's a couple things I want to do first before tackling the sound system (Comfort Top, seat recondition, a few mechanical items), but this is definitely something that will be done soon.
MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

I want to improve the sound in my 98. It has the CDR 210, which is OK, but I think it only has dash speakers... at least none are visible on the doors from the outside. The system as it stand now sounds pretty "tinny" with not much bass at all.

I found some yellow wires run under the carpet that end under the pad behind the rear seats. I think maybe they were for rear speakers, but I'm not sure. Setting the CDR-210 fader to rear doesn't do anything (no sound).

Can door speakers be added? I'm thinking the easiest plan for me is to:

1) add speakers in the door. Hook those to the CDR-210 as "rear"
2) change dash speakers as some of you have done..
3) Add the iPod connectivity to the CDR-210. I don't want to change the head unit - like it to look stock.
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

I recently installed a pair of Kicker KS60 6" speakers in the doors of my 2001 base without modification to the stock baffles. These is conjunction with Quart 4" speakers in the dash and Porsche rear speakers have made the poor fidelity of the stock system very tolerable. The 6" Kicker KS60s added much improve punch and bass articulation to the overall sound.

I found that the addition of rear speakers surprisingly added a sense of spaciousness to the sound where it became less directional than the forward speakers alone. Worth the cost IMO.

Last edited by Miata2Boxster; 07-05-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Miata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

Garage
While on the topic of sound, any ways to get iPod connectivity on the original 6 disc changer radio? Or do I need to go learn how to burn a cd haha?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #8

don't feel foolish. that's what these forums are for. trust me, i made the same mistake and that is how i know.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
While on the topic of sound, any ways to get iPod connectivity on the original 6 disc changer radio? Or do I need to go learn how to burn a cd haha?
What radio? Usually the CD changer is disconnected and you add the ip-BKR2. I have one sitting around if you want to make an offer. I upgraded my HU so I no longer need it.

iP-BKR2 iPod Adapter for Becker and other Radios with "AUX" Menu Setting :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
All you need is a cable with RCA plugs on one end and an 1/8 inch plug on the other end. It needs to be at least 6 feet long but longer is better. you plug the RCA plugs into the stereo output of your 6 CD changer under your frunk and then run the cable up through the firewall and under your dash and up to your center console where you can plug into your ipod. Then you need to get an old CD that you won't miss, put it in the CD player and put your stereo in CD play mode. It thinks it is playing a CD all the time and instead your ipod is what is feeding into the stereo.
There is a tech note either here or on pelican that gives the details but this description about covers it and it only costs you the cable to do it.

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote