986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   need a porshe master to answer a few good questions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53046-need-porshe-master-answer-few-good-questions.html)

drew713tx 07-03-2014 08:33 PM

need a porshe master to answer a few good questions

So I'm planning on buying a boxster s cash 12 15 k within maybe a couple more months been saving and want my money spent well so I wanna know what I'm getting In to I've head something about ims problems on models before 01 I believe this is around the area I'm looking for 2000-04 from what I see in my price range should buy me one with something like 60 70 K on there should I b worried also since where talking years any year running quicker than the others I've heard the 03 is way faster I've also heard that's not true at all I would like to do a few small things to give it some more get up headers cat delete maybe a k&n and a tune some better tires I keep hearing so many horror stories and I'm worried I'm gonna spend what's hard earned money for me and invest some extra on top for a little customizing and have some big engine failure because "it can't handle it"as some say BTW I'm a standard car guy I can explain what makes a car go change bolts ons alts starters maybe but I'm far from a machanic and from what I understand these cars are not good used cars for a guy who Barley had the huts to do a brake job any advice guys ?

Pdwight 07-03-2014 10:24 PM

My Car

You are describing my car to a T. I bought mine a little over a year ago 01S 64K miles. I shopped heavily...test drove 4 cars before I bought mine. I baby my car, rarely is it driven in the rain...and then usually I am caught out. I enjoy working on my car...that being said I have a BMW 323IS, a 1998 model with 147K miles. I work on the BMW far far less than my Boxster. It seems every week I am doing something to my Boxster and rarely do I have to do anything to the little E36. Neither car uses any oil, neither car leaks a drop on my carport floor......But the Boxster is just so much fun and how can you argue with the looks.

Shop heavy, get a car fax.....shop some more

Buy Wisely

Dwight

rfuerst911sc 07-04-2014 02:08 AM

Three words of wisdom: Pre Purchase Inspection !!! By someone that REALLY knows these cars. Good luck.

husker boxster 07-04-2014 05:31 AM

Welcome. Maybe you could buy a period. ;)

If you do a search on IMS you'll find a month's worth of reading on the topic. It has been beaten to a pulp. You can make your own judgements after reading up on it.

If you don't want to take the time to read about it, I'll give you a two sentence summary: Look for a Boxster that has had the IMS upgraded. If your dream car does not have the IMS upgraded, buy it at a reduced price and plan to spend $2K on a clutch & IMS upgrade.

Also, Porsche are not small block Chevys. You don't throw a few mods on them and open up another 50-100 hp. You can spend $5K on headers, cat deletes, high flow exhausts, and intake plenums and gain a collective total of 20 hp. If the Box does not provide the kick in the pants you're looking for, don't buy it because you'll never get the satisfaction you're looking for at a reasonable price. Boxsters were not meant to be drag racers. They are designed for handling / cornering. The only way you'll get substantial hp gains is by spending cubic dollars - as in $15-20K for an engine upgrade.

Many have gone down the road you're looking to traverse. I'm just telling you how that road ends before you go down it.

Good luck with your search.

Ebell914 07-04-2014 06:47 AM

Awesome response Husker!

husker boxster 07-04-2014 08:57 AM

The 03S had a slight hp increase over the 00-02. Something like 15 hp IIRC. So it is not "waaaay faster" than previous Ss. But 03 & 04 Ss are desirable because they come with a glass rear window, a glove box, and de-ambered turn signals.

And thanks Ebell914.

jsceash 07-04-2014 09:12 AM

I'd have to agree 03-04S. They are also the first with 3 cam chains and not 5. The down side of these is the single row bearing IMS. So if they don't have the IMS upgrade save money to have it done.

JayG 07-04-2014 10:07 AM

and oil coated air filters are a no-no. they can mess up the MAF

Depending on who is talking about the IMS problem:

1 all M96 engines will blow up unless you do a IMS fix

2 a high % will have the problem

3 a low % will have the problem

IMHO (for whatever it's worth)... the IMS is a issue, but depending on whose statistics you use between 1 and 10% of the engines have them fail. Mine has not failed. When I eventually replace the clutch ( I have 61k on the car now) I will most likely replace the bearing.

Why, it is PM and the added cost at a clutch change is basically a few $$$. My car is in great condition and I plan on keeping it that way. Eventually I will give it to one of my kids

lkchris 07-04-2014 11:06 AM

Yup, my mechanic says 3%.