Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #1

Airbag Warning Light / Seatbelt buckle goodwill repair

I have read on PCA that Porsche has been repairing the seatbelt buckle problems (causing the air bag warning light to come on) as a goodwill item for Boxsters that are out of warranty. PCA post also said that whether it is covered as a goodwill item is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

My air bag warning light came on and I am wondering if anyone has been successful at getting the dealer to fix the infamous seatbelt buckle problem as a goodwill item? If so, which dealership and when?

Thanks!
Allen

2cardinalalums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
I have read on PCA that Porsche has been repairing the seatbelt buckle problems (causing the air bag warning light to come on) as a goodwill item for Boxsters that are out of warranty. PCA post also said that whether it is covered as a goodwill item is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

My air bag warning light came on and I am wondering if anyone has been successful at getting the dealer to fix the infamous seatbelt buckle problem as a goodwill item? If so, which dealership and when?

Thanks!
Allen
I had some theft alarm work done on my car recently and after completion I had an "airbag warning light" come on. I took the car to Stevinson Imports in Denver (purchased it there) and they reset the light for free. Not quite sure if this is what you are asking, but they indicated this was related to the seatbelt interface.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums

Thanks!
Allen
I don't know what exactly they are fixing - but to the best of my knowledge seatbelts have an unlimited warranty. My dad just had his fixed for free by Acura on his 87 Integra.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #4

quote from pca.org

Not sure exactly what the problem is. Apparently, the grounding needs to be replaced with gold contacts (instead of the original tin) and the receptacle needs to be replaced as well.

This is what the PCA Q&A said:
Q: "The air bag warning light stays on. What would the most likely cause be?"
A" "The most likely cause is the seat belt buckles. They have a small resistance window in the control unit for the airbag and if it goes out of that window, the airbag light will come on. Porsche has been taking care of the airbaga light as a goodwill gesture since they have had so many problems with the seat belt buckles. You will have the harness updated under the seats and gold connectors install in the harness. New buckles with gold connectors will be installed, eliminating the resistance problems with tin connectors. Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 8/7/2002"
Old 03-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #5

How should one go about trying to get this done for free? I need to have mine evaluated due to the airbag light being on and repaired. I would love to have it done for free. I was told that the dealers like to replace both sides (driver and passenger) at the time of repair. My estimation is that parts would be approx. $170-$200 depending on the dealer. And I imagine 2hours of labor. So it seems this could save me around $300 or more. I guess I will start by calling the nearestest dealer(60miles). And try to negotiate the situation w/ the service mgr. I'll call tommorow and see how it goes. I'll post his response.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #6

Airbag Warning Light

Allen,

I have the same problem and I just purchased my 01 Boxter 4FEB. I live in Houston and called our local Porsche dealership (Momentum) and was told they are not fixing this problem as a goodwill repair. I was told the probable cause is the seatbelt receptacles need to be replaced as well as the ground wire. Just in case you wanted to know how much approximately you'll spend for this job....800.00 quote included labor. I also asked about getting the light reset in hopes that would take care of my airbag light being on constantly, he advised this most likely will not cure the problem. Believe it or not they will reset light free of charge. I'm hoping this will cure my problem because I had to get a new battery.

Good luck!

LAM
denash01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #7

Hey guys I have an update: I called the North American Porsche customer service dept. 1-800-PORSCHE. Spoke w/ a rep. about recalls and good will repairs. I gave him my vin# and was told that porsche has completed 2 factory recalls to date on my 99 tip. At this time there are no outstanding recalls. I also asked about the good will repair possibility of the seatbelt recepticles. I was told that I would likely need to go to my nearest dealer (1-866-248-1096/ Winfred) to determine the problem first. He gave me the contact name and number of the nearest dealer. I called and spoke w/ the service mgr, he was very helpful. The first thing he said was that porsche likes to replace some wiring first to see if that clears it up. He also said they only do goodwill repairs at the descretion of a regional mgr, and this is one that would be based individually. So now I have an appt. next friday to have it looked at. I have been putting off having my OBC option turned on so it looks like a good time to do that also. I have a feeling that if I spent alot of money on repairs at the dealer or had purchased from them I would stand a much better chance at having this done as good will. Being as it is I do most of my own repairs and preventive maint. myself. I did call sunset to check on parts pricing ($76.74) for each side. Tha'ts for wiring and recepticle and they recomend replacing both at same time. The rep.(Eric) mentioned this to be a common problem and that this almost always clears the light up. Hope this helps. If anyone has more ammunition for my dealer visit please advise before next friday.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

I will give my dealer a call as well.