Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Garage
HELP...Car Fires then Stalls and Dies

Well, short lived success. If you saw my last thread about repair day, I did my plugs and tubes and then did my starter. Broke the J tube while doing that and the new tube came in today. So much for thinking I'd swap the tube in and be good...

Car started and immediately ran rough. Idle surging and backfiring like it does when its running rich. Did run for a while though with no flashing CEL or any CEL at all.

Figuring this was the battery restart issue, I shut it down and restarted. Again it did the same thing. I checked the intake and the throttle body to make sure I didn't create a vacuum leak when I put it all back together, seemed ok and couldn't find any issues.

Started it up again only to find now the car would fire and immediately die. What on earth could I have done now...I did grab some gas and put 6 gallons in just to rule that out as an issue...same result. MAF disconnected, same result. Everything looks perfectly connected to me and I can't for the life of me understand what the hell happened. I tested the car after I completed the tubes and plugs and it fired off fine. What could be causing my issue now? I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to flatbed the thing 65 miles to my indy to get it looked at. Any help is appreciated.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Well, short lived success. If you saw my last thread about repair day, I did my plugs and tubes and then did my starter. Broke the J tube while doing that and the new tube came in today. So much for thinking I'd swap the tube in and be good...

Car started and immediately ran rough. Idle surging and backfiring like it does when its running rich. Did run for a while though with no flashing CEL or any CEL at all.

Figuring this was the battery restart issue, I shut it down and restarted. Again it did the same thing. I checked the intake and the throttle body to make sure I didn't create a vacuum leak when I put it all back together, seemed ok and couldn't find any issues.

Started it up again only to find now the car would fire and immediately die. What on earth could I have done now...I did grab some gas and put 6 gallons in just to rule that out as an issue...same result. MAF disconnected, same result. Everything looks perfectly connected to me and I can't for the life of me understand what the hell happened. I tested the car after I completed the tubes and plugs and it fired off fine. What could be causing my issue now? I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to flatbed the thing 65 miles to my indy to get it looked at. Any help is appreciated.

I had a similar experience after messing with my intake manifold and leaving a massive vacuum leak in the intake manifold. You might go ahead and take it apart, then put it back together to see what you find. Could be something not fitted properly that is not obvious on visual inspection.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Since you were messing with the plugs, I would check them and the coil packs for any signs of cracks or deterioration. I suppose that if there were a problem with fire, you might get a CEL... In a situation like this, I always start with the last thing that I messed with.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I had a similar experience after messing with my intake manifold and leaving a massive vacuum leak in the intake manifold. You might go ahead and take it apart, then put it back together to see what you find. Could be something not fitted properly that is not obvious on visual inspection.
BINGO.

Called my indy guy, (who is a fabulous human by the way) and he stated the same. Redid the intake manifold and all is well again. Fired up and ran well. I haven't done the 90 mile gauntlet test to make sure nothing reappears, but fingers crossed all is well and the car is purring again.

Thanks for the advice guys.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Beginner

Garage
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jamesp; 06-25-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Success!
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote