Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #21

Bikes too!

I agree, I think the 986 strikes a great balance between rawness and refinement. On a similer level I have had a 916 ducati since 1995 and bought a new 1998s a couple years ago and never bonded with it even though it is much better on paper, I recently sold the much faster 1198s and doubt I will ever sell the 916.

The problem with refinement is that is can't but reduce feel and from feel comes connection and from connection comes confidence and from confidence comes enjoyment (at least that has been my experience)

Last edited by Chronohunter; 06-13-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Chronohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Track rat

Garage
Yep, I hear this a lot. I have owned my 986 for 9 years and she has been pretty amazing in terms of both fun and reliability. I have sort of been considering moving to another car lately as I have done everything I wanted to do with this one and more. I drove a 987.2 PDK just to test the waters. She is very nice and mighty quick but honestly all the electronic gyro-wizardry left me pretty cold. I am not sure I can go there and I may end up looking back into the catalog of older 911s. Who knows... So many great cars, so little time.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The 2.5 is dartier than 2.7 base car. If I were to buy a project Boxster it would be a 2.5
strip down the interior some, slap on lighter wheels, lighter exhaust, race battery, tighter suspension, maybe lighter brakes, and that's a ~2,600 lb. mid-engine dream. Service the IMS, look after the water pump regularly, and its very hard to beat Porsche wise. That engine feels better with the 5 speed too.

Once it gets heavier, IMHO, it needs at least 240-250 HP to feel darty off braking and out of slow corners. The extra power just changes the dynamics in those particular situations. But you can also add too much power (like maybe over 300 HP), where the car is doing more of the work than the driver. It's a fine balance when it comes to roadsters.

Until you drive something newer. But I think all Porsches post 964 feel cushy and insulated to some degree. But at least they don't leave a wet spot in your drive way.
My next car will likely be 2000 or newer, but the Porsche that I plan to keep forever is still a 2.5.... Hopefully I will get an S and it will be crazy fun, but I'm always gonna want a 2.5 for just toying around in.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #24

What's not to like? Granted, it is smooth to the point where looking at your speedometer is a surprise (I'm going 85?!).

Very impressive no doubt. Would it be nice if they developed a manual even better than the current 997 ssk that mesh well with the transmission to rival the pdk? Nissan tried on the 370 with much room for improvement. Pdk still would be faster but not more fun.