Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

paintless dent repair in boston recommendations?

Hey all

Anyone have any recommendations for PDR in Boston area?
Driver's side door met shopping cart today
Quarter size dent.

I googled and came up with bostondentpro or dentambulance
Not sure if these places will do good work for a reasonable price

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

Here are Dent Wizard authorized service centers: DentWizard.com : Repair Facility Locator
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the link
Have you used them before? Are they good?
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #4

Garage
You may even try using a heat gun and canned compressed air if you think you can tackle it. I've seen it done successfully with my own eyes, but I'd say it's worth a shot even at 50% chance.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
You may even try using a heat gun and canned compressed air if you think you can tackle it. I've seen it done successfully with my own eyes, but I'd say it's worth a shot even at 50% chance.
Or you can buy an inexpensive kit (Harbor Freight) that does a pretty good job. I have some body work experience so had no concerns using this method. The kit/system uses hot glue and glue gun (supplied in the kit) and an acetone release agent to remove the glue. It will not hurt the paint.

Take your time and tighten slowly on the plunger, it might take a couple attempts to get it right, just don't over tighten because then you will have a bump to deal with.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

Garage
Not bad, Mr. Jager. Is the success rate very high with the plunger? Looks nifty.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Here are Dent Wizard authorized service centers: DentWizard.com : Repair Facility Locator
Used Dent Wizard on a small dent I caused by stupidity. Every time I looked at it it nagged at me how dumb I was so I had to have it removed. About the size of a dime in front of the mirror on the left feder. Cost $150 Magically the dent is now gone and you cannot find where it was. To me it was worth it.

Danbury Porsche and Audi had this done on a few Audis that suffered hail damage to great success.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Not bad, Mr. Jager. Is the success rate very high with the plunger? Looks nifty.
Success will depend on the dent depth… it can’t be too deep. Sometimes the dent can be removed and there are no signs it was there, other times there is a little distortion but it looks allot better than the dent (I put it at 50/50). If you are a perfectionist I recommend taking it to a pro.

If you have never used a system like this practice on appliances or older, less cared for, automobile before using it on your pride-and-joy.
You need to make sure you are using this system on original paint. Also there can be no paint damage in the dent (chip, scratch) otherwise it could pull-off some of the paint.

For a small dent use a small amount of glue and move the support pads as close to the plunger as possible, this will reduce the possibility of pulling the dent up too far and creating a bump.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #9

I recommend taking it to a Pro. Even then there are "hacks" and real magicians....so find a magician! I suggest you contact your local Porsche or Audi dealer and get his recomendation OR just let them handle it. A great pro can handle most jobs quickly and at a reasonable cost.....sometimes trying it yourself will cause more damage than if you left it alone....just get a quote first.

I had a pro take out 3 door dings when I first bought (used) and it was PERFECT when he finished.....totall cost $175 well spent dollars.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

there is a high end detail shop in Wakefield that does dent repair . can't think of the name . I always see Ferraris and such there . that is where I would go .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote