Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
What a load of nonsense .
That's like saying an electronic throttle is to blame and we should go back to throttle cables .

A manual transmission is a very simple concept. It is or it isn't.
Either the driver is moving the gear or the car is doing it (i.e. automatic).

And partly why the 997 GT3's will be some of the most sought after in a few short years. It also helps that they don't catch fire.

If you were referencing racing, some things have indeed progressed in the name of safety even if it meant losing some control over the car. But at the end of the day driver skill comes down to throttle, brake, gear lever and steering wheel. If you're cutting into those for reasons other than safety, you are watering down the traditional driver skill set that has existed for decades. Either to allow the computer to produce a faster lap time or to protect the driver from his own equipment destroying, position losing errors.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-09-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #22

.2 RS prices are going up right now due to the bad rep of GT3 catching fire and delay of the new RS...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
to blame for what?

A manual transmission is a very simple concept. It is or it isn't.
The sport automatic gearbox it is slowly killing the traditional/manual gearboxes, they are faster, accurate, in sync, and smarter than the driver The only bit you lose is the clutch feel but that was replaced by a "launch control" if I'm not mistaken

In that context, it does makes the manual gearbox look like a very simple concept, yes lol
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #24

With all the electronic additions to the Porsche line (now fake burbling too lol), I'm truly liking my air cooled 911 more and more...............

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #25

Sounds like my Boxster S with the sports exhaust. So the GTS has a few more options included as standard, an enhanced profile and an extra 10bhp - is it really worth it for 1mph gain?
2014 Boxster S GT Silver, Black Full Leather, 20" Classic Carrera Alloys, Sports Seats, Sports Exhaust, Sports Steering Wheel, PASM. TPM, Bose Surround, Ambient Lighting Pack, Front and Rear Park Assist.
1998 Boxster 2.5 Artic Silver/Boxster Red.
MK_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #26

Great vid. Great road! Car sounds awesome! That's how my 991S PowerKit sounds. With the Sport Chrono, you get rev-matched down shifts with the 7MT (the vid has PDK.....and rev matches too). I love the sound, and I was used to a 993 Turbo with FabSpeed bypass. This is even better.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote