Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #1

Would You Rather? Ferrari 360 Modena vs. Porsche Cayman S

Would You Rather? Ferrari 360 Modena vs. Porsche Cayman S - YouTube

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Ferrari....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #3

New Cayman S because I'd actually want to drive it everyday. The 360 is really cool just not sure I'd every would want a older Ferrari without having deepockets for maintenance.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #4

Funny man makes an interesting point though. What you save on maintenace in driving a new Porsche you lose hand over fist on depreciation, especially the really expensive Porsches like the Carrera Turbo.

And from what I've read on the Fcar forums, the track version Ferraris like the 430 Scuderia are whole other levels of durability above the fragile street version Ferraris. Which makes me wonder if a better comparison would be Scuderia(~$165K) vs. 991 TurboS (~$200K fully equipped) for daily driving. That Porsche is going to lose value by the buckets whereas the Ferrari not as bad.

Not that 360 vs. Boxster/Cayman is a good comparison in this video since that's garage queen vs. workhorse Porsche.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-06-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

Garage
Ferrari because its older, if it was the Ferrari against a 986 it would be closer consideration but i would still take the ferrari because in my opinions it is way better than the ugly 458, post wedge and pre 458 ferraris are the best of the bunch.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
I think part of this question is, "do I get to keep my current car(s)"? If I get to keep my currents and this is just an addition to the stable, Ferrari all the way. If I'd have to lose my currents, I'd take the Ferrari, sell it, and buy back my currents. Call me crazy, but I really love the 986/996 platforms!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

You can pick up a used 360 for 60k these days. For me nothing would leave a jaw on the floor like a red 360 and that big glass window showing the engine is just dreamy.
polkfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #8

Garage
I just had lunch yesterday with a buddy of mine that sold Ferrari's for a few years. His one piece of advice was to *never* buy a Ferrari model previous to a 430. His reasoning was all those vehicles use belts for everything and the 2-3 year replacement cost was out of the roof. The 430+ models use a chain. Much more reliable and cheaper to maintain for the long run. I'm sticking with Porsche myself. Funny review.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
I just had lunch yesterday with a buddy of mine that sold Ferrari's for a few years. His one piece of advice was to *never* buy a Ferrari model previous to a 430. His reasoning was all those vehicles use belts for everything and the 2-3 year replacement cost was out of the roof. The 430+ models use a chain. Much more reliable and cheaper to maintain for the long run. I'm sticking with Porsche myself. Funny review.
Like any other car there is a ton of very knowledgeable people out there that can work on the 360, saving a ton of money vs taking it to the dealer. If you can turn a wrench you can do at home like many of us do with the Porsches.

My Lamborghini has been bullet proof. REALLY solid IF you maintain it by the book, being proactive. Never wait for stuff to break, meaning replace things at the right mileage intervals, no matter how good the part still is.

If you take to the dealer yes, you will pay a premium. As an example, my car was with the dealer due to a recall and while it was there, as I was traveling and could not work on the car myself, I asked them to change all fluids (transmission, differential, engine), replace a bulb on the rear brake light that was out and do some very minor suspension work (mainly sway bars bushings). The BULB alone was a $253 job. The whole bill came to $2500.

On the other hand I must say these damn Italians must know what they are doing at the Lamborghini dealer. The car came back a new car, seriously. Drives like a dream now. Suspension is tighter than ever and shifting is buttery smooth (it is a 6-speed manual). By far the best $2500 I paid on service.

So Cayman S or 360? 360 all day long. There is something to be said about the exhaust note out of an Italian exotic and as Doug pointed out on his article (we poke at each other on Twitter) the Cayman will depreciate like nuts. I learned that the hard way and my old Cayenne was the last Porsche I ever bought new. USED all the way.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #10

his other videos are hilarious too

dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #11

My friend has a Lambo Murcielago Spyder with paddle shifters. Reverse went out and the replacement "switch" cost $12k to replace. He drives a Ferrari California now and leaves the Lambo sitting in the garage.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
My friend has a Lambo Murcielago Spyder with paddle shifters. Reverse went out and the replacement "switch" cost $12k to replace. He drives a Ferrari California now and leaves the Lambo sitting in the garage.
In my case I got a 6-speed for two reasons:
- DAT SOUND on the gated shifter. Nothing can beat that.
- When doing the clutch, if it is a manual, it is a piece of cake. If you get the e-gear then the car needs to have the computer reset to 'read' the new clutch thickness and that can only be done by the computer at the dealer. I looked at some used ones on Ebay (they pop up every once in a while) but they go for $12,000+. Way too much for me to justify buying one. The manual transmission avoids all this hassle.

Some of the stuff on the Lambos is indeed crazy expensive.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #13

Garage
I drove an F430 on the track in vegas last month. I wanted to see what it was like and if I should start saving up to move from Porsche to Ferrari. It was a blast to drive, but for real world use, I didn't see enough of a difference from my 986 to consider it. They both sound great, have the same cramped interior, but for normal roads, you can't use the extra power anyway. I like my car, but if money was no object I would probably have both.

I can now definitely understand those drivers who defend the paddle shift gear box. It's made for the track; Just a little boring on normal roads.

Maybe I'll try a Lamborghini the next time I'm in Vegas.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
Rennzenn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
his other videos are hilarious too

"Don't get a Ferrari, get a dog"
100% Anywhere I go with my Basset hound without my wife...he attracts lots of attention
Attached Images

Last edited by j.fro; 06-07-2014 at 03:16 AM.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote