Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #41

hahaha good luck with that, had the same problem with the neighborhood stray before I moved. He slept there on and off for a year. Never damaged or scratched the roof only left some hair. He did leave lots of dirty foot prints but definitely never left any scratches.

^^^^ Not my cat!!!

Last edited by Carlisabadman986; 06-03-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #42

Garage
Very cute!
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #43
On the slippery slope

Garage
Good kitty, protecting the Boxster from all the wild game roaming around the urban neighborhood
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Good kitty, protecting the Boxster from all the wild game roaming around the urban neighborhood
That's funny!

But I gotta say, I am the only one in my neighborhood that has never found snakes in my garage...my two trusty cats get rid of all the snake food...
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #45

Ok I don' t care to dive into the emotional end of this thread, but just consider
the effect of a cat "kneading " its claws into your top (leaving nicely invisible holes in the liner, covered by an intact and unharmed canvas). Now consider that cat making a trial rake of its claws across the surface as it tests the canvas for suitability as a scratching surface (leaving very visible and permanent damage to the canvas fibers).

And as a matter of fact, I lost my 1st cover to a cat, which judging by the muddy paw marks leapt onto the trunk and then to the unsupported cover placed over the open cockpit to keep it free of tree sap. The collapse of the cover must have startled the animal into engaging its all-wheel positraction top-shredding drive, for the middle of the cover was flayed beyond salvation. I hated it, mainly b/c it was the oem version 1 cover, which is no longer made but was lighter and fit better and stored more compactly.

But for the record, I make every effort to keep my kids and pets off of the neighbors' property, less they cause offence or damage, or are suspect of causing such. I expect the same courtesy from my neighbors.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #46

Garage
Our cats sneak into the garage when the door is open and we are driving a car in and then the next day...cat paw prints all over my Porsche. argh...I'm real annoyed when I catch them slinking into the garage a sly and slick like they think I didn't see them. I can usually honk the horn and they go scrambling.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #47
Offroader

My cat loves sleeping on my car, for the heat, or the view, i don't know. Doest matter if its in the garage or outside it. I don't sweat the paint, over the years we have had cats sleeping all over the cars. There may be a scratch from them sliding off but a quick wax always fills them in…But the one thing i do worry about is them punching through the soft top. So I put a towel over the soft top and then a car cover over that. Now for my obligatory car pics.

To solve your problem maybe put one of these mats on your roof, my friend did this to protect his new leather couches and then he didn't need to even turn them on after the first few times.

Amazon.com : PetSafe 60-By-12-Inch ScatMat Electronic Pet Training Mat, Sofa, SKM-C471 : Pet Deterrent Mats : Pet Supplies

Here's him on top of the boxster roof digging in, but he can't get through the towel/cover layers
Old 06-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #48

I would try to notify the owner of the issue and then hope he resolves it.

... if that doesn't work a little bit of antifreeze in some tuna should take care of the problem.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #49
Yeast Rancher

Quote:
Must have affected your brain
I hear they make a good meatloaf.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #50
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
I hear they make a good meatloaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
I would try to notify the owner of the issue and then hope he resolves it.

... if that doesn't work a little bit of antifreeze in some tuna should take care of the problem.
Come on guys, there is nothing funny about poisoning or cooking a cat
Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #51

This

Amazon.com : Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent : Pet Deterrent Sprays : Pet Supplies

with a little bit of this sprayed on the ground near the car

Amazon.com : Cat & Kitten Repellent : Pet Deterrent Sprays : Pet Supplies

I can't belive this is still a problem. We have technology now.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-04-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #52

Why do (most) cat owners think it's OK to let their cats roam the neighborhood, crap in my flowerbeds, fight, howl and screw under my window at night, and sleep on my car? I don't let my German Shepherds roam the neighborhood.

I have 2 simple solutions for cats that come in to my yard.
1) If they are naive enough to get in my 6' privacy fenced backyard, my German Shepherds use them as a chew toy. Sorry Kitty. Stay home. Problem solved.
2) If I start having a problem with a cat (after I give it a chance or two by chasing it away), I place a live trap next to my house. When I catch a cat, as I do a few times a year, I simply load the cat and the trap into my truck and bring it to the animal control facility. To get the cat back, the owner has to show proof of vaccinations (or pay to get it vaccinated there), show the cat is registered with the city (or pay to get it registered before it can leave), and they have to pay a fine for having an animal running at large. IE - they have to be responsible for their animal.

Funny thing is, I've never seen a cat again after I bring it to the pound.

My dogs are vaccinated, registered with the city and contained on their property. IE - I follow the rules for responsible pet ownership. If by chance one of them would ever get loose and end up at the pound, I'll pay the fine, bring her home and fix the problem so she doesn't get loose again.

If a cat owner can't be responsible for their cat, it's their problem when it goes missing. Not mine. A cat that is allowed to roam faces injury by getting in a fight by another animal, hit by a car, or catching a disease from an unvaccinated animal. That doesn't sound like responsible pet ownership to me. Sorry.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #53
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
This

Amazon.com : Contech StayAway Motion-Activated Pet Deterrent : Pet Deterrent Sprays : Pet Supplies

with a little bit of this sprayed on the ground near the car

Amazon.com : Cat & Kitten Repellent : Pet Deterrent Sprays : Pet Supplies

I can't belive this is still a problem. We have technology now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Why do (most) cat owners think it's OK to let their cats roam the neighborhood, crap in my flowerbeds, fight, howl and screw under my window at night, and sleep on my car? I don't let my German Shepherds roam the neighborhood.

I have 2 simple solutions for cats that come in to my yard.
1) If they are naive enough to get in my 6' privacy fenced backyard, my German Shepherds use them as a chew toy. Sorry Kitty. Stay home. Problem solved.
2) If I start having a problem with a cat (after I give it a chance or two by chasing it away), I place a live trap next to my house. When I catch a cat, as I do a few times a year, I simply load the cat and the trap into my truck and bring it to the animal control facility. To get the cat back, the owner has to show proof of vaccinations (or pay to get it vaccinated there), show the cat is registered with the city (or pay to get it registered before it can leave), and they have to pay a fine for having an animal running at large. IE - they have to be responsible for their animal.

My dogs are vaccinated, registered with the city and contained on their property. IE - I follow the rules for responsible pet ownership. If by chance one of them would ever get loose and end up at the pound, I'll pay the fine, bring her home and fix the problem so she doesn't get loose again.

If a cat owner can't be responsible for their cat, it's their problem when it goes missing. Not mine. A cat that is allowed to roam faces injury by getting in a fight by another animal, hit by a car, or catching a disease from an unvaccinated animal. That doesn't sound like responsible pet ownership to me. Sorry.
Both good solutions.

Not big on the dog eating the cat, but most cats will steer clear of a yard that smells of dog.

I have dogs and cats and they get along great, even sleeping together, but the cats are very wary of a dog that is not theirs
Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
If I start having a problem with a cat (after I give it a chance or two by chasing it away), I place a live trap next to my house. When I catch a cat, as I do a few times a year, I simply load the cat and the trap into my truck and bring it to the animal control facility. To get the cat back, the owner has to show proof of vaccinations (or pay to get it vaccinated there), show the cat is registered with the city (or pay to get it registered before it can leave), and they have to pay a fine for having an animal running at large. IE - they have to be responsible for their animal.

well you could give the owner a warning before you hand it over to the executioner since you placed the trap outside your yard. Whether the cat is registered, neutered, vaccinated, etc. or not, at the end of the day it's a cat not a bird, or a dog or a chipmunk... going out looking for prey (what you call 'roaming') is what is programmed into its DNA. It's not programmed to stop chasing prey when the scent leads up to your property line. Dogs on the other hand can be trained to do such things but it's apples and oranges, one can't expect all animals to act the same out in nature. That's man fighting nature itself. Or at least demanding that nature abide by man-made rules. You live in suburb not a compound. I just have a hard time putting racoons, which are a threat public health and cats in the same cateogry requiring traps and putting them down.

But I agree with your other points though. Irresponsible cat owners create lots of problems for others cat owners.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-04-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #55
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
well you could give the owner a warning before you hand it over to the executioner since you placed the trap outside your yard. Whether the cat is registered, neutered, vaccinated, etc. or not, at the end of the day it's a cat not a bird, or a dog or a chipmunk... going out looking for prey (what you call 'roaming') is what is programmed into its DNA. It's not programmed to stop chasing prey when the scent leads up to your property line. Dogs on the other hand can be trained to do such things but it's apples and oranges, one can't expect all animals to act the same out in nature. That's man fighting nature itself. Or at least demanding that nature abide by man-made rules. You live in suburb not a compound. I just have a hard time putting racoons, which are a threat public health and cats in the same cateogry requiring traps and putting them down.

But I agree with your other points though. Irresponsible cat owners create lots of problems for others cat owners.
+1 you are spot on
and people don't realize the added benifit in the reduction of rodents
Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #56

Quote:
well you could give the owner a warning before you hand it over to the executioner since you placed the trap outside your yard. Whether the cat is registered, neutered, vaccinated, etc. or not, at the end of the day it's a cat not a bird, or a dog or a chipmunk... going out looking for prey (what you call 'roaming') is what is programmed into its DNA. It's not programmed to stop chasing prey when the scent leads up to your property line. Dogs on the other hand can be trained to do such things but it's apples and oranges, one can't expect all animals to act the same out in nature. That's man fighting nature itself. Or at least demanding that nature abide by man-made rules. You live in suburb not a compound. I just have a hard time putting racoons, which are a threat public health and cats in the same cateogry requiring people to go Charles Bronson on them.

I should add that I know my neighbors cats, and I'd never "abduct" one of the cats I'm familiar with - I don't need to/want to hassle my neighbors. We all get along well and I wouldn't want to spoil that. The ones that end up in the trap are cats that aren't from the surrounding homes and they do get the chance to get chased away a few times before I bring out the trap.

I'm actually a pretty easy going guy when it comes to them running loose, and I'm not a cat-hater. There just comes a time when a problem needs fixed.

Rick
Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #57

Wow, iv really let the cat out of the bag with this thread, did not realize that it was such a problem, having read all your posts there are cat lovers and haters on here. Me im in the middle, in the Uk my home is my castle therefore I can defend my home with reasonable force against an intruder (law). That said Uk law is very grey on the cat issue. It is a domestic pet not a wild animal therefore I can charge the owner for damaging my property right ? well no, one has ever taken this to court as far as im aware, most cat owners say they are wild animals, if thats the case then I should be able to treat them as such and deal with as a pest. it goes both ways but if I catch the little FKR it will get a quick bath, not going to hurt it but deffo going to scare the little thing in not coming back.
Spray deterrents are ok but it rains so much in the Uk they only last a few days ! Sonic one rely on cat no being deaf and this cat must be 100! so is probably tone deaf!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #58

Some people on this thread need to calm down . . . What the?

I've used this motion-activated sprinkler against marauding dogs, it works well.

Amazon.com : Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler : Lawn And Garden Sprinklers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Couple of times should do the trick.

And, YES, a cat can fall right through a canvas top, if it's brittle and old. Happened to hubby's 911 . . .
Old 06-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #59

Garage
I like squirrels
Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Come on guys, there is nothing funny about poisoning or cooking a cat
I never said anything about poisoning a cat. I just said to put antifreeze-laced tuna out... Cats make their own decisions, where they lay, what they eat, where they walk.

Closed Thread