Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2023, 08:36 AM   #1

Water Pump Replacement on High Mileage Car?

Hi All!

I know this is 986 forum, but I have history here and I know the 987 is pretty similar.

At any rate, I found myself a pretty nice '05 987 which has plenty of service records including replaced IMS, clutch, AOS, oil, plugs, etc. The only consumable part I can think of that was not mentioned is the Water Pump!

This car has 146k and I intend to only use it on weekends (perhaps couple 100 miles per month, low usage) however the water pump has got me puzzled.

From what I know, these tend go pretty quickly and I am not sure if I should be concerned or not if there is no documentation that this WP is original to the car.

At any rate, this being an early 987, early enough that it has the smaller/replaceable IMS, is it possible their WP's have been upgraded as well? Or is this something I should consider changing ASAP? I only ask because I need to pick it up close to 200 miles away, and would not want to be stranded if it is a huge risk.

Thank you in advance for any assistance on the matter

solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Me? If I didn't have a record on the last water pump replacement... I'm soon establishing one.

I didn't when I bought mine at 114,500, and replaced it within the month. LIkewise the motor mount. There's a benefit to doing both at the same time. The 5th bolt.

Pierburg. No imitators.

PS. How are the transmission mounts looking?
Old 05-31-2023, 10:38 AM   #3

Solo, for the piece of mind I would replace the water pump (with an OEM..) and the serpentine belt as well before you take the car home, and since you are there, as mentioned by Starter, do the front engine mount at the same time as will make the water pump replacement easier.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:32 PM   #4

I'd go get the car and drive it home. 200 miles is nothing and if the car isn't weeping fluid or overheating, It'd just be terrible luck and an inconvenience that if failed on your trip home. We're talking a 3 to 4 hour trip, not a cross country trek.

I'd simply check all fluid levels and tire pressure, put the top down and enjoy the drive!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:55 PM   #5

I'd just drive it home, but I have AAA and they'll tow something like 100 miles a few times a year before they start charging by the mile over whatever the limit is. I agree with dghii, the chances it fails right then are pretty small.

I have no idea if my car has the original pump at 91k, and while it's on my list of things to do, I'm not afraid to drive the car until then.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I'd just drive it home, but I have AAA and they'll tow something like 100 miles a few times a year before they start charging by the mile over whatever the limit is. I agree with dghii, the chances it fails right then are pretty small.

I have no idea if my car has the original pump at 91k, and while it's on my list of things to do, I'm not afraid to drive the car until then.
Thanks all. I need to set up a time to get it, and hopefully all will be well. Current owner says no leaks of any kind, but is there a way to check from under the car if the pump has any weeping? I think also I checked the coolant tank in the past, but I could be thinking of something else.

Thank you also to Hasdrubal- I believe I have AAA as well, so heaven forbid anything was to happen I just have to make it 100 miles from my home
solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Thanks all. I need to set up a time to get it, and hopefully all will be well. Current owner says no leaks of any kind, but is there a way to check from under the car if the pump has any weeping? I think also I checked the coolant tank in the past, but I could be thinking of something else.

Thank you also to Hasdrubal- I believe I have AAA as well, so heaven forbid anything was to happen I just have to make it 100 miles from my home
If your worried about any type of issue with the coolant system take a coolant pressure tester kit with you when you pick up the car.
Test the coolant system. If the coolant system holds pressure under proper test conditions Then there are no leaks in the system.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:07 PM   #8

I would accept the risk on the 200 mi trip but given the consequences of a water pump failure, yours with that many miles, should be replaced.
Bush Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:01 PM   #9

My 2000 986's water pump had been replaced at 87,000 miles, and I replaced it again myself at 155,000. I have AAA, but I made it home after it started leaking badly. It's not that tough a job or expensive to replace, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg to have it done. I was quoted $1300. Remarkably, the service department guys weren't wearing masks and guns.

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 06-04-2023 at 02:07 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote