Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 AM   #1

rattle driving me nuts !!!

Picked up a 2002 S in jan. and just loving it. Been tinkering some and just enjoying the car. But since day one there is a rattle that " seems " to be directly behind my head. The rattle is on both sides and only there going over bumps. My first thought was the hard cover for the convertible top. So I bang my fist all over the cover and I get nothing. I have a lift at home so I've had it in the air a few times and have pushed, pulled and prodded all suspension pieces and I get nothing. The only thing I haven't checked is to verify that the top rear shock mounts are tight. So are there known " rattle " items ? I know sound travels but it really does seem to be right behind my head. Exhaust is also rock solid and no heat shields went with aftermarket exhaust but it made this rattle before the exhaust change. Any help is appreciated.

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

The black plastic cover over the convertible top motor, dead center under the top lid.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #3

it could be just the windshield on the roll bars. i had to put some padding on mine to keep it from making rattle noise.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #4

I sometimes get a rattle over bumps from the honeycomb inserts in the roll hoops. It's on my list of stuff to get to, may not be the same you're having because I rarely notice it anymore.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Garage
I use Gummi Pflege on the rubber surfaces at the top of the windshield where it mates with the convertible top, and it's quieted things down a lot. Used to creak when I went over bumps, and the sound seemed to be coming from the dash. YMMV. Gummi Pflege Check out the reviews on Amazon - some users comment on this reducing noise from door seals and sunroofs. Good stuff. German, too!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
The black plastic cover over the convertible top motor, dead center under the top lid.
Can I see this cover with the convertible top in service mode ? And what is supposed to hold/stop that cover from rattling ? Thanks
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Can I see this cover with the convertible top in service mode ? And what is supposed to hold/stop that cover from rattling ? Thanks
Yes. Service mode. Covers actual motor. Just tap it or scrape it with your finger. It will make "that sound" if it's the culprit. I used a dab of silicone to weld it tight. Other wise it clips or snaps on.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote