986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   rattle driving me nuts !!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52597-rattle-driving-me-nuts.html)

rfuerst911sc 06-07-2014 04:45 AM

rattle driving me nuts !!!

Picked up a 2002 S in jan. and just loving it. Been tinkering some and just enjoying the car. But since day one there is a rattle that " seems " to be directly behind my head. The rattle is on both sides and only there going over bumps. My first thought was the hard cover for the convertible top. So I bang my fist all over the cover and I get nothing. I have a lift at home so I've had it in the air a few times and have pushed, pulled and prodded all suspension pieces and I get nothing. The only thing I haven't checked is to verify that the top rear shock mounts are tight. So are there known " rattle " items ? I know sound travels but it really does seem to be right behind my head. Exhaust is also rock solid and no heat shields went with aftermarket exhaust but it made this rattle before the exhaust change. Any help is appreciated.

Timco 06-07-2014 04:50 AM

The black plastic cover over the convertible top motor, dead center under the top lid.

tuanle16 06-07-2014 04:56 AM

it could be just the windshield on the roll bars. i had to put some padding on mine to keep it from making rattle noise.

CraigM 06-07-2014 07:38 AM

I sometimes get a rattle over bumps from the honeycomb inserts in the roll hoops. It's on my list of stuff to get to, may not be the same you're having because I rarely notice it anymore.

kjc2050 06-07-2014 07:45 AM

I use Gummi Pflege on the rubber surfaces at the top of the windshield where it mates with the convertible top, and it's quieted things down a lot. Used to creak when I went over bumps, and the sound seemed to be coming from the dash. YMMV. Gummi Pflege Check out the reviews on Amazon - some users comment on this reducing noise from door seals and sunroofs. Good stuff. German, too!

rfuerst911sc 06-07-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 404500)
The black plastic cover over the convertible top motor, dead center under the top lid.

Can I see this cover with the convertible top in service mode ? And what is supposed to hold/stop that cover from rattling ? Thanks

Timco 06-07-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 404533)
Can I see this cover with the convertible top in service mode ? And what is supposed to hold/stop that cover from rattling ? Thanks

Yes. Service mode. Covers actual motor. Just tap it or scrape it with your finger. It will make "that sound" if it's the culprit. I used a dab of silicone to weld it tight. Other wise it clips or snaps on.