Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #1

Try Again Sorry

Sorry fo my quick post yesterday, was in a flap... Im New here Wife picked up a 99 Boxster over the weekend, has a few issues, ( dont they all)

1. Hood, at the rear of the soft top below the plastic window, the rubber seal that goes all the way around, should this touch the lid all the way round when the roof is closed?
2. The two cables that give accesse to the engine bay, one is tighter than the other side will this effect the above. Cant see that these cables do really.
3. Going to take the car to my mech this week to have a good look over, I know it needs a wishbone at the front ( squeeking and knocking when warm), also think starter motor is on way out makes a noise when first started in morning.
4. She needs new tires. Was a repo but was serviced only a few months back so was cared for ( i Hope).

Be around now and hope to get to know you all.

Im based in Southern Uk so rains alot.

tannerman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Huge leap of faith buying it before the look over! Most have a PPI at Porsche.

I had to do a starter. Easy DIY job.

Color? (Sorry, colour?) Base model?

I run Michelin Pilot Sports. Great tire. (Tyre?)
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Huge leap of faith buying it before the look over! Most have a PPI at Porsche.

I had to do a starter. Easy DIY job.

Color? (Sorry, colour?) Base model?

I run Michelin Pilot Sports. Great tire. (Tyre?)
hiya the colour is midnight blue with dark blue leather and blue roof ,will post some pics shortly looks great its a 2.5. full FSH and only one tiny chip on door edge otherwise bodywork spot on.
still looking at tyres but thanks for the heads up on the starter

has anyone got any answers on roof seal ,,see above ?

the wife lol...I love it no contest between bmw ( Z3/4 ) and my new toy ,looks and drives a dream i
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Yes, the seal along the bottom bow of the hood should be in contact with the clamshell as that directs water to the drains near the doors (by the hood pivots). Sometimes the weatherstripping does come out of the channel, but if you tuck it back in there firmly it should stay put.

The short tension cables shouldn't affect the contact in regards to the seal. However, from my experience the cables will likely fray and need replacing at some point. They do help with overall hood tension when it's up, so I would check for any fraying near the ends.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
petrol head

Garage
I know it needs a wishbone at the front ( squeeking and knocking when warm),

Before you go to the trouble and cost's on the above, try making a very small hole in the rubber seals above all the ball joints and track arms etc, melt some bearing grease and squirt it in or at least some WD40,. I did this when mine knocked/squeek'd in the warm weather about two summers ago, it's still as quiet as a mouse.

Worth a try.
Midlands UK so i know about the rain lol
always porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Yes, the seal along the bottom bow of the hood should be in contact with the clamshell as that directs water to the drains near the doors (by the hood pivots). Sometimes the weatherstripping does come out of the channel, but if you tuck it back in there firmly it should stay put.

The short tension cables shouldn't affect the contact in regards to the seal. However, from my experience the cables will likely fray and need replacing at some point. They do help with overall hood tension when it's up, so I would check for any fraying near the ends.
thanks for above info... the rubber on the hood is in the correct position all the way around
on the drivers side there is a finger gap between the seal and the clamshell to around a third distance to the middle thereafter it seals. The cable on the drivers side is taught and this side has the gap. Passenger side is less taught and the seal is tight against the clamshell. Both cables not frayed and seem in good condition. It seems to me that taught cable could be the problem is there any adjustment ???
Old 05-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by always porsche View Post
I know it needs a wishbone at the front ( squeeking and knocking when warm),

Before you go to the trouble and cost's on the above, try making a very small hole in the rubber seals above all the ball joints and track arms etc, melt some bearing grease and squirt it in or at least some WD40,. I did this when mine knocked/squeek'd in the warm weather about two summers ago, it's still as quiet as a mouse.

Worth a try.
Midlands UK so i know about the rain lol
thanks for the above is this the ball joint behind the brake disc?
Old 05-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

Yes, that's the ball joint that squeaks/creaks on my car. The WD40 shot really helps remove that annoying steel on aluminium sound.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote