Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 740
The worst part about getting a Boxster as your first vehicle is that it will also likely be the one you screw-up! That's not a great feeling when it's a vehicle as nice as a Porsche. Dents in your first POS just don't mean as much.

I just went out to my Boxster to run some errands and found the passenger side had huge scrapes along the rear quarter panel in front of the duct. It looks like someone nailed it last night while I was parked on a one-way street. No real dents, but it's scratched up something fierce!

I feel like I want to throw-up.

Anyone know where I just take it in Denver?

Why couldn't they have nailed my 95 Montero? I could give a crap about that vehicle.
__________________

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12
Actually, the driving school is a great idea. If I end up with a Boxster, I'm definitely going to do that, and I'm sure it would make my parents feel better about getting that vehicle. Plus I think it would be fun to take the Boxster out on the track and safely learn what it can do.

I also agree with starting on cars that are less of a risk. Until i was 19, I wasn't allowed to touch my mom's E420. Mostly I've driven cheaper SUV's.

Thanks for the continued replies. Did any of you guys have a nice car like this when you were younger? What did you think of the experience? Do you regret it in any way?

I know, lots of questions. I'm just trying to make sure I decide correctly - a car is a rather major decision!
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
Did any of you guys have a nice car like this when you were younger? What did you think of the experience? Do you regret it in any way?
I had a few: new 65 Mustang & 67.5 Firebird 400 in high school. Traded 'Bird for 66 912. Then new 914-6 after college in 70. Followed by a year-old 911 in 71. And the rest of my history does not qualify as "young." If your real question is "Do I regret blowing money on cars?" the answer is an emphatic NO! You'll never enjoy cars as much as when you are young - at least that is my story. If you have the means or have to stretch your finances a bit, then do it.

I've never had kids so that means a lot in terms of being able to waste money on cars, women, and booze. I know a lot of guys delay nice cars until they push families thru life and then become financially able to afford the finer things. I admire them for it. But for me the memories of the enjoyment and excitement of my early cars cannot be replaced. I wish my Box could do the same for me, but it does not. I love it, but not in the same way as I felt about cars at your age.

The only regrets I've had are the "ones that got away." The 57 T-Bird for $1795. A 289 Cobra for $6500. A 904 (with a 911 engine) for $6500. A Gullwing Mercedes for $30k.

Advice - go for it if you can and enjoy it.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
My first car was a 63 Stingray conv. My reget is that I sold the car to my brother and he sold it to ...................

__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page