Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Garage
Opinions on Driving Gloves.

I am considering some leather driving gloves, and i dont even have Italian in my blood. It is a shame that one of the only cars i would consider wearing gloves in, has no glove box haha! Anyways anyone out their wear driving gloves. Please voice your opinions on how tacky or not it is haha I have yet to order.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #2

Driving gloves

I wear driving gloves from time to time and yes they are soft Italian leather. It is mostly when driving top down in 40 to 60 degree weather. (Don't do this with a plastic rear window however. )
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I would go all the way; gloves, scarf, driving hat and goggles. Sounds like winning combination

Last edited by particlewave; 04-18-2014 at 11:13 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #4

I think welding gloves would also work well ,lol
judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

My son and I both have a pair of these:

Pratt and Hart Traditional Leather Driving Gloves Size M Color Black at Amazon Men’s Clothing store

I have worn them at one autocross and around town a few times. They feel great. That said I don't wear them every time.

At my last DE at Roebling in January I did not yet have these, and it was COLD. For one session I wore a regular set of cloth "work glove" type of glove. Never again. My hand was sliding around and I had to hold on with a death grip to keep my hands fixed on the wheel. With the leather gloves linked above you don't have to grip more tightly. They feel natural.

On a hot day if my hands were sweaty maybe they would help me if my hands were to get sweaty, but I haven't yet driven them in that condition yet so I can't say.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

When I'm at the track I use my karting gloves...

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks think i will make a buy . The start of my thought process was when i asked a friend if i should do my hair like Ryan Golsing. After getting a general consensus from my ladies of "F*** Yes" I have decided to go for the hair for sure called "the driver" and then i felt gloves would be a good addition. I think i will pass on the scorpion jacket though haha. As for the goggles and such my sister has a Harlequin Great Dane, she said me and the dog both need goggles and to ride in my car haha!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #8

Garage

Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #9

Garage
I use a pair of these:
Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #10

driving gloves are something somebody buys you on father's day.

A trip to the Sports Authority in the batting gloves section will do.
I like the Under Armour in all black. Usually about $20. But a seasonal item only.

p.s.
Does Ryan Gosling play the mumbling sad face guy in every movie?
I think his contract says no facial movement above the lips will be requested.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-18-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #11

I came to accept that driving gloves are only for thin wooden steering wheels...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #12

My brother-in-law has a BMW with an Alcantara steering wheel, he methodically puts his driving gloves on every time after he opens the car up and sits down in the driver's seat. I use to catch a glimpse of him doing this when departing from somewhere after a family gathering, all the while holding my tongue and not saying anything out loud. Last fall when we were piling into the family SUV my teenage daughter saw him doing it and said aloud what I had been thinking for years....."What a Tool........."

My 2 cents............and worth both of them.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
I came to accept that driving gloves are only for thin wooden steering wheels...
Let us dream that the older 4 spoke is "outdated" enough.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I would go all the way; gloves, scarf, driving hat and goggles. Sounds like winning combination

Be careful. Isadora Duncan died when her scarf got tangled in the rear axle of her Hispano Suiza and strangled her.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
My brother-in-law has a BMW with an Alcantara steering wheel, he methodically puts his driving gloves on every time after he opens the car up and sits down in the driver's seat. I use to catch a glimpse of him doing this when departing from somewhere after a family gathering, all the while holding my tongue and not saying anything out loud. Last fall when we were piling into the family SUV my teenage daughter saw him doing it and said aloud what I had been thinking for years....."What a Tool........."

I am 100% sure she would not mind one bit if it was ryan gosling putting on those gloves...
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186 View Post
I am 100% sure she would not mind one bit if it was ryan gosling putting on those gloves...
Well, it wasn't, it was my Brother-in-Law.....

Her current hottie is Channing Tatum, she's already explained to me that she WILL be marrying him......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186 View Post
Hence the hair. Now I just have to run by the gym.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:

That makes your daughter one of the minority and makes you a good father, In most girls today that is the kind of guy they are after. We young guys have to put on a tool facade to bring them in, however it's the nice guys they all want deep down they just do not know it. Tool on the inside and out, gets the girl then quickly loose the girl and his reputation. Good guy outside and in, will never get the girl. Tool on the outside with a hint of class and decency, but nothing but respect and care on the inside, gets the girls and keeps her!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:

I must not be understanding correctly. I was under the impression it was the act of wearing driving gloves that made your BIL a tool.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
As for the goggles and such my sister has a Harlequin Great Dane, she said me and the dog both need goggles and to ride in my car haha!
lol, I concur, this would look totally cool! I've been wanting some driving goggles myself.