Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #21

Cool

I cant believe how common it is not to have the Porsche lug nut bolt key to remove the locking bolts........There must be a tire changer or mechanic somewhere that has all these lost/stolen lugnut bolt keys..........I had the same problem. Took it to the closest Porsche dealer and they were nice enough to take the locking lugnut bolts off for free using their master key. They did it in less than 5 minutes. I was so impressed I slipped them 15 bucks for lunch.........

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 AM   #22

Lost anti-theft lug key

An earlier post suggested finding a socket barely too small and beat it onto the anti-theft lugs. What size socket? Impact or regular? 6,8 or 12 point? Metric or standard?I want to go pick up a few sockets or check my tool box and take care of this problem. Have new lugs in hand ready to install.

HELP
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
...And where to purchase lug bolts ? Dealer or ?
No one answered the last part of his question. I ask because I've thought about replacing my lugs (including the security ones), though I really haven't started looking yet.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:25 AM   #24

I'm in a quandary. I just bought the car and several tires have cord showing on 2 of the 4 tires. The nearest Porsche dealer is 32 miles away and they can/will remove the lugs for me. I do not want to drive there and back then go somewhere else to have tires put on. I would prefer to take the anti-theft lugs off myself and not take the chance of Bubba or Cooter destroying my rims while trying to remove the lugs (self-help). If I bugger up the rims, I have nobody to blame but myself.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
An earlier post suggested finding a socket barely too small and beat it onto the anti-theft lugs. What size socket? Impact or regular? 6,8 or 12 point? Metric or standard?I want to go pick up a few sockets or check my tool box and take care of this problem. Have new lugs in hand ready to install.

HELP
23 mm 12 sided not impact works for me everytime
Old 10-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #26

itsnotanova,

THANKS. On my way to buy a few sockets.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #27

Reminder

To anyone new to this forum. If you have lock lug nuts on your Boxster replace them with regular lug nuts and throw the "security" lug nuts as far as you can. They are nothing but a pain in the ass. No one wants your wheels. And if they did, they know every trick in the book on how to get them.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #28

I actually had the wheels of a car stolen off the car. It was my first car, a mint condition Accord hatch back that I practically stole thanks to a generous alumni of my college. I parked the car in front a friend's house for a get together. I heard what sounded like the text book Honda ignition but paid it no mind. Came outside car is gone like the wind. Spent a few days calling the police with no success. Then I get a call from the NYPD asking me to call an impound lot in a really bad part of the Bronx. "We have your car, bring a tow truck and some wheels". I'd never been to the Bronx before... I took a mechanic friend of mine. As soon as we parked a swarm of NY's finest came from all directions in their squad cars with their guns drawn. A crime was in progress directly accross the street. Only in NYC. My car had no wheels, no brake calipers, no radio of course, they pried out the digital clock on the dash and even tried taking apart the windshield but gave up. Back in NJ we drove to a junkyard and picked up much of what I needed.
That wasn't fun and now that I think about it explains a recurring dream I've had over years where I park my Boxster and come back to find it's gone. Which reminds me why did everyone stop using those red steering locks that were so popular in the 1990's?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:34 AM   #29

Thanks for the feedback on removing the anti theft lugs. The 23mm deep well, 12pt socket worked like a dream.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 AM   #30

Garage
first thing I did when I got my car was toss those things
Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #31

Garage
I'm still on the fence. They are a pain to deal with, but they are also a deterrent. I'm not worried about the Porsche enthusiast who will see my crappy 17" rims and taking them. Just the idiot kids who think it would be cool to take them because they have a Porsche logo and think they might be worth something.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #32
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
I'm still on the fence. They are a pain to deal with, but they are also a deterrent. I'm not worried about the Porsche enthusiast who will see my crappy 17" rims and taking them. Just the idiot kids who think it would be cool to take them because they have a Porsche logo and think they might be worth something.
If they want the Porsche logo, they can easily pull the center caps, much easier than jacking up the car and unbolting 4 wheels

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote