Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #1

Front Hood Shock

Hello.

I recently replaced the two front hood shocks because the old shocks were not strong enough to maintain the hood in the open position.
I bought the cheaper of the two types available from Pelican.

Now with the new hood shocks, the hood remains in the open position, no problem. However, the hood does not "pop" about an inch when I unlock the frunk. I seem to recall the hood poping it when I first got the car.

Questions.
Is this the case of inferior a part not doing the job like the OEM part?
Or, is there another part that helps the hood "pop" when the frunk is unlock?
I ask the second question because there was a part that I found in the frunk last year back that I couldn't figure out where it goes or even the part belongs to the car.

If anyone was able to make their frunk hood "pop" when unlocked, please help.

Thank you.

mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Mine pops a little, still have to wiggle my fingers in there though. Then again, the struts need replacing in a bad way (along with the release actuator).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #3

Maybe you could try backing out the stand-offs a turn or two to put a bit more pressure on the trunk when it is closed. If you try this then make sure the front edge of the trunk is still slightly lower than the back edge of the bumper cover, otherwise you'll get a loud howling noise from the air rushing over the gap when you are on the highway.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Maybe you could try backing out the stand-offs a turn or two to put a bit more pressure on the trunk when it is closed. If you try this then make sure the front edge of the trunk is still slightly lower than the back edge of the bumper cover, otherwise you'll get a loud howling noise from the air rushing over the gap when you are on the highway.
Thanks Mark.

I tried that. It didn't help.

The part I found in the frunk was a rubber - I will upload the picture if I can find the part. I think that may be the part that is responsible to the initial pop of the hood. I don't know. Perhaps someone else in the forum knows.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Mine pops a little, still have to wiggle my fingers in there though. Then again, the struts need replacing in a bad way (along with the release actuator).
Yep. That's what I used to do. I keep thinking the rubber part I found in my frunk is involved in the initial pop in some way.

Thanks for your comment.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #6

The trunk in my 01 S has a spring loaded metal plunger that pushes the trunk up slightly when opened.

The Frunk relies on the latching mechanism spring and the adjustable rubber bumpers.

My frunk also requires to put a finger under the corner at the head lights to lift the lid.

The hood shocks play no role in that initial popup process.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
The trunk in my 01 S has a spring loaded metal plunger that pushes the trunk up slightly when opened.

The Frunk relies on the latching mechanism spring and the adjustable rubber bumpers.

My frunk also requires to put a finger under the corner at the head lights to lift the lid.

This makes sense to me!
Can you tell me where the metal plunger is? Or, do you have a picture of it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Not true. I just replaced my 10 year old hood struts 10 mins ago and now the hood pop-up enough that I can slip my finger to lift it unlike before where I need to pry it next to the headlights.

BTW this is one of the easiest thing to do. I don't see a reason to cheap out on the part - OEM is made in Germany and will likely last another 10 years.

Last edited by ekam; 03-29-2014 at 05:44 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #9

I replaced mine too. Regarding the trunk not popping this was an issue in my turbo too. I tightened up the two bumper stops as much as I could and now it pops up like normal. I also second the stabilus brand as it will last many years.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #10

I replaced mine too with URO parts. No difference before and after regarding the popping. When I hit the button, I hear the loud releasing noise, the hood pops up just enough to stick the front of my fingers in and start lifting more to stick fingers in to get to the lever.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #11

Thanks guys for posting.

I am confused.
Is there a part that assist in the initial popup or do the shocks do all the work?
I wish I can see the metal plunger that was mention earlier and see how that works.

I know I made a mistake of buying cheaper shocks.
I really need to get a second job so I can properly maintain my car. :ah:
Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #12

I don't believe there is anything that pushes the hood up, but the pressure against the rubber gasket around the frunk. Just try tightening the little nubs on the front of the hood. I'm not sure why but that helped me. Just so you know it will only pop up enough for your fingers to slide underneath the trunk to unlock it. I was trying to figure out if the rear trunk on a turbo opens at all as mine just unlocks. Granted it is pretty heavy. I know this is a boxster board but if anyone knows please send me a pm.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #13

pop

my pop got better when I had to replace the actuator which had failed intermittently
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
my pop got better when I had to replace the actuator which had failed intermittently
I went to look at my hood after reading all the postings here.
After unlocking the frunk, there is definitely "friction" near the locking mechanism. It might be the actuator. I just don't know.

Thanks for sharing.