986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   front motor mount (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51273-front-motor-mount.html)

mountainman 03-22-2014 08:09 AM

front motor mount

Changed the front motormount on the 04 boxster S today at 58K miles. Some cracking of the rubber at the edges, but not a lot. don't know if it was bad enough to notice any difference, it is a tiptronic. At least now I know it is good. Not a real bad job since I have a lift and good supply of tools. Would have been considerably more difficult without the lift. Took about an hour and a half, taking my time and cleaning everything up well.

paintboy 03-22-2014 08:57 AM

Two back ones OK then?

mountainman 03-23-2014 04:02 AM

Yes, in nice shape. The tiptronic trans may not put as much strain on mounts as the six speed. I really had not noticed any symptoms of a bad mount, but was just preparing for a cross country rally of about 7K miles and wanted to head off any potential problems. Now a water pump, thermostat and belt, new tires and oil change.

hancock1701 03-23-2014 09:48 PM

Did you get the whole mount or just the bushing?

mountainman 03-24-2014 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancock1701 (Post 392367)
Did you get the whole mount or just the bushing?

I got the whole mount. I have a machine shop that thinks he can press the bushing in/out, but is not sure about getting the alignment of the mount holes just right. Decided not to chance it. I may pick up a bushing and try it with the old mount now that I have one to play with.

Ranfurly66 03-24-2014 07:44 PM

A quick question. What are signs of the front motor mount going off?

Cheers
Richard

mountainman 03-25-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranfurly66 (Post 392545)
A quick question. What are signs of the front motor mount going off?

Cheers
Richard

Generally some vibration, jerking of the gearshift lever when acceleration bumping sound when changing gears, and general loose feeling in the drive train. sometimes hardly any symptoms at all.

SpikeJr 05-08-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 392605)
Generally some vibration, jerking of the gearshift lever when acceleration bumping sound when changing gears, and general loose feeling in the drive train. sometimes hardly any symptoms at all.

Once again I'm scouring thru the posts looking for answers - love this forum :cheers:

Noticed the other day that I can feel some "shifting" in the gear shift lever when accelerating and sometimes when letting off the accelerator. Not bad enough to call it a "jerking" of the gear shifter, and I really almost need to be intentionally "less smooth" with the accelerator to get it to cause the gear shifter to move.

So - how much "shifting / jerking" is normal and when do we start looking at the front motor mount (or transmission mounts?).

Thanks!

Deserion 05-08-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpikeJr (Post 399393)
Noticed the other day that I can feel some "shifting" in the gear shift lever when accelerating and sometimes when letting off the accelerator. Not bad enough to call it a "jerking" of the gear shifter, and I really almost need to be intentionally "less smooth" with the accelerator to get it to cause the gear shifter to move.

So - how much "shifting / jerking" is normal and when do we start looking at the front motor mount (or transmission mounts?).

Thanks!

I notice this in mine at times as well. I generally only feel it if I have my hand on the shifter (I don't rest it there). I have over 100k miles on mine, how many do you have on yours (what year)?

SpikeJr 05-08-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 399396)
I notice this in mine at times as well. I generally only feel it if I have my hand on the shifter (I don't rest it there). I have over 100k miles on mine, how many do you have on yours (what year)?

98' with 88K miles. Same here - only notice with my hand on the shifter - didn't think to visually observe the shifter for movement.

boxster6354 05-08-2014 10:19 AM

I changed mine a couple weeks back, did not notice really anything that pointed to the motor mount but was under the car doing some preventive work and thought I might as well do it as I had just over 65k.

Let me say one thing I can now have a nice conversation in the car, and do notice shifting seems better but as they wear over time I guess I just got use to the extra noise vibration.

After looking at it I am so glad I replaced when I did! :eek:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1399572919.jpg

RandallNeighbour 05-08-2014 11:57 AM

I think someone smart like Pedro wrote that the front motor mount from the factory craps out at about 40-50k miles and that's all one should expect from it.

Now upgrading to something that will last longer will also cause more vibration... Porsche engineers their parts for performance AND comfort.

dghii 05-08-2014 11:57 AM

I've replaced mounts on three different Boxsters over the last few years. Shifting improves, idle is smoother and no harmonic vibration at ~3K rpm are the main things that get fixed.

I did swap just a bushing in the mount one time and it wasn't very hard to do. The bushing as $39. Prior to removing the old bushing, I marked it and its position in the mount. I then sat the new bushing on top of the old, alingned the holes and marked it as well.

I put my motor mount in a vice and used a hack saw to break up the old mount and pull it out. It was quite easy to do by hand. I then took my new (Frozen) bushing, alinged the holes and pressed it in using the vice. It when right in without any drama.

Meir 05-08-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 399422)
I've replaced mounts on three different Boxsters over the last few years. Shifting improves, idle is smoother and no harmonic vibration at ~3K rpm are the main things that get fixed.

I did swap just a bushing in the mount one time and it wasn't very hard to do. The bushing as $39. Prior to removing the old bushing, I marked it and its position in the mount. I then sat the new bushing on top of the old, alingned the holes and marked it as well.

I put my motor mount in a vice and used a hack saw to break up the old mount and pull it out. It was quite easy to do by hand. I then took my new (Frozen) bushing, alinged the holes and pressed it in using the vice. It when right in without any drama.

Do you have the bushing part number by any chance?

boxster6354 05-08-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 399474)
Do you have the bushing part number by any chance?

Part #: 987-375-023-05-M69

2000 Porsche Boxster Base Convertible - Engine Miscellaneous - Page 2

dghii 05-09-2014 11:49 AM

Got mine at ********************************_az

dghii 05-09-2014 11:51 AM

sorry. PM me and I'll tell you where I got my bushing.

Meir 05-09-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxster6354 (Post 399483)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 399592)
sorry. PM me and I'll tell you where I got my bushing.

thanks guys.