Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #1

Red face Should I buy this Boxter???

Helllo,

I am looking at a Porsche Boxter 1999 for about $9000.
It has:
47000miles on it,
Clean Car fax,
No rust, Single owner, very well maintained, all dealer stamps and records till 40000 miles,
1 key
Inspection done by Porsche dealer Problems notes wiper, Window regulator, clutch, IMS/rms

I am student and I am breaking my bank for this car it has haunted my dreams since childhood.

I would appreciate if you guys can help me or stop if I am going wrong with this deal.

vthakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Gone

Garage
9000$ minus repairs is about 6500$ and that is about right. Plus a bit more $ for the low miles. Good luck in your search. Take your time.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #3

Is there a way to find out if the engine block is damaged after the IMS failure?
I revved this car and it was fine. and owner has made me a final offer of $8500 should I get it or no?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Gone

Garage
IF the IMS has failed- you need to do more research and don't pay 8500$. You need to tell us more about the engine condition. I assumed the RMS was leaking so they recommended replacement along with IMS and clutch.

Have you driven it and if so how did it drive?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #5

Yes if you want I can upload the dealer inspection sheet.
You are right there was oil leak and they suggested IMS/RMS replacement with the clutch.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
IF the IMS has failed- you need to do more research and don't pay 8500$. You need to tell us more about the engine condition. I assumed the RMS was leaking so they recommended replacement along with IMS and clutch.

Have you driven it and if so how did it drive?
I revved it up in the garage it was too cold to ride it outside. Do you want me to upload the P mechanic inspection sheet.
There was oil leak and that why they wanted to replace the ims/rms with clutch
Old 03-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #7

Id buy it.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Gone

Garage
I would suggest you find out much the suggested repairs will cost and then you can decide if you can afford the project. It's your call at the end of the day.
I spent about 6 months looking for mine and its a roll of the dice for sure.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthakka View Post
I revved it up in the garage it was too cold to ride it outside. Do you want me to upload the P mechanic inspection sheet.
There was oil leak and that why they wanted to replace the ims/rms with clutch
Assuming it was too cold to take the car out, the car was likely not warm... never rev a cold engine. As for the car, sounds a bit too cheap for the miles, likely something terribly wrong with it, research more of the cars and wait on the right one.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Assuming it was too cold to take the car out, the car was likely not warm... never rev a cold engine. As for the car, sounds a bit too cheap for the miles, likely something terribly wrong with it, research more of the cars and wait on the right one.
Well the garage was heated and I have looking for such boxter with low mile no luck till I found this one. BTW I am going again to look at it what should I look for in the car when I drive it ?
Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
I would suggest you find out much the suggested repairs will cost and then you can decide if you can afford the project. It's your call at the end of the day.
I spent about 6 months looking for mine and its a roll of the dice for sure.
Hey Davev is there anything in particular that I should look for when I test drive it tomorrow. I plan to buy it and take it straight to the mechanic for the IMS/RMS and clutch repair will probably even change the serpentine belt.
Is there anything else you would suggest?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Hey Davev is there anything in particular that I should look for when I test drive it tomorrow. I plan to buy it and take it straight to the mechanic for the IMS/RMS and clutch repair will probably even change the serpentine belt.
Wait the car still needs the IMS? Make sure you are aware of the costs of this. Also the fact that you think a heated garage means the engine would be a running temp means that maybe more research is necessary for you. I am a young owner of one of these cars, possibly the youngest on the forum and i would have made many mistakes with this car if it wasnt for research before hand and listening to others here on the forum. I wouldn't have known a lick about running temp myself a year ago. Point is these cars are proper European sports cars, this means expect them to be just as fragile and expensive to repair. Take some time to research and also wait on the right car to come onto the market. Biggest mistake would be rushing into the wrong boxster.... wish you luck with your search.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 03-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Start here https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/buyingorsellinga1997-2004boxster
Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Gone

Garage
I think we are suggesting that you take extra time -- because you said you are a student and this will break the bank for you. Sleep on it.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
I think we are suggesting that you take extra time -- because you said you are a student and this will break the bank for you. Sleep on it.
Thanks Davev and everyone. I am going to take your advice and look for other models/options and see if I can get something. But should I expect the IMS expense on everyone even the 2003 with 67K miles on it this one is in mint condition and has a very good record the only problem is its for $13500
Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Davev and everyone. I am going to take your advice and look for other models/options and see if I can get something. But should I expect the IMS expense on everyone even the 2003 with 67K miles on it this one is in mint condition and has a very good record the only problem is its for $13500
What I am assuming is that you think ims is mandatory. Rather it is not so much optional but preventative, this means arguably it has to be done. But not as soon as you buy the car. Monitor oil filters at frequent oil changes for metal shavings. If you find any you need a bearing, if the car needs a clutch, might as well go for a bearing. If the car is running fine and you are putting the right oil in the car and changing it around every 3 to 5k miles you are fine. More info is the 1997 to "2001.?" Cars have a less likely to fail bearing, while later 01 to 2009 cars are more likely. The benefit of a 2000 is a bigger engine and of an 03 is a glass top and new lights. Some find the 2.5 slow others find it the most like a classic light weight low HP fun porsche. Suggestion is look for a 98 99 or 2000 with less than 85k miles and has been well cared for. Also ask if the cars water pump has been replaced because it is very likely to fail from 70k to 100k.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
What I am assuming is that you think ims is mandatory. Rather it is not so much optional but preventative, this means arguably it has to be done. But not as soon as you buy the car. Monitor oil filters at frequent oil changes for metal shavings. If you find any you need a bearing, if the car needs a clutch, might as well go for a bearing. If the car is running fine and you are putting the right oil in the car and changing it around every 3 to 5k miles you are fine. More info is the 1997 to "2001.?" Cars have a less likely to fail bearing, while later 01 to 2009 cars are more likely. The benefit of a 2000 is a bigger engine and of an 03 is a glass top and new lights. Some find the 2.5 slow others find it the most like a classic light weight low HP fun porsche. Suggestion is look for a 98 99 or 2000 with less than 85k miles and has been well cared for. Also ask if the cars water pump has been replaced because it is very likely to fail from 70k to 100k.
Thanks BIGJake I just got off the phone from the seller he sent me some pic of the PPI Please let me know whats your take on it

Old 03-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Thanks BIGJake I just got off the phone from the seller he sent me some pic of the PPI Please let me know whats your take on it
hrmm sleep on it and let the other guys weigh in but personally, sounds like a great car, if and only if, you can get the price down to accommodate the ims clutch and such.... it looks as if it needs to be done. The price is too high considering this. However, i would imagine the seller would be willing to budge on price considering this. If you can get the car for under 8 and afford to do the ims/rms/clutch, (which many people do anyways at some point.) It sounds like a great buy and honestly an opportunity to make some money. A ims retrofited low mile 99 is hot a commodity and you can expect 11k plus on resale if you can afford the car now and get it for the right price. As i mentioned earlier i am litterly the youngest here and not that knowledgeable myself so hang in for a few other opinions as well and definitely get some advice from some of the guys who have done the ims retrofit. Make sure to get a retrofit and not just another bearing likely to fail, if you have the right tools and smarts you can DIY and save alot of money....
Old 03-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Beginner

Garage
If you are buying primary transportation you are looking at the wrong car unless you are a good mechanic with tools and a place to work on it. For me, the driving experience is complimented by the opportunity to personally twist every bolt on the car during repairs. As a hobby that's great, as primary transportation that's unreliable. If you buy it, expect to repair it, and repairs are 3X to 6X the cost of repairing other cars. You need to take that into account before buying it no matter how fun it is to drive, and it is fun.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #20

If you are a student breaking the bank...I would NOT recommend a Boxster in this age/price range. You might get lucky and get one that is relatively trouble free....but chances are you are in for an proposition that you are not prepared for. This car is for when you are stable, have a garage and time/money...and a spare care....

runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote