986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   time for a really stupid question (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51253-time-really-stupid-question.html)

rfuerst911sc 03-20-2014 03:28 PM

time for a really stupid question

New to me 2002 S with built in drink holders. Not sure if there are different styles mine are directly under the center dash vents and retract into the dash. Now the stupid question.........what kind of coffee mug fits these damn things ??? :mad: The size of the " cup " opening is just big enough for a water bottle/soda can my " normal " coffee mugs won't fit. I only carry coffee in the morning so I have a cup at work, normally I don't drink and drive :D So what are you using ?

BIGJake111 03-20-2014 03:35 PM

I've noticed it fits coke cans and hardly anything else. The whole right infornt of the vents design is great when you have the heat on and a cold coke in the cup holder.:(

rfuerst911sc 03-20-2014 03:50 PM

Yes it's less than an ideal location but looks better than a roll of duct tape on the floor :D And it is within easy reach. Oh well I will find something that fits.

Infernicus 03-20-2014 03:53 PM

Ugg. I have a '99 without cup holders. I would LOVE a cup holder. I went to Walmart and bought a four pack of the cheap cup holders that you can hook into the window. They aren't great. But what do you expect for four for a dollar?

BruceH 03-20-2014 04:00 PM

I took mine out. They are worthless especially with any kind of acceleration:eek: I got two of these:

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.

They are a little pricey but work great! They hold almost any size cup or bottle firmly in place.:cheers:

Mark_T 03-20-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceH (Post 391905)
I took mine out. They are worthless especially with any kind of acceleration:eek: I got two of these:

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.

They are a little pricey but work great! They hold almost any size cup or bottle firmly in place.:cheers:

+1 on that. I have two of them, both on the passenger side so I'm not kicking it.

eicheldp 03-20-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Add another +1 on that. I added two to mine. I didn't like the factory holders suspended over the radio & climate control. The factory units feel flimsy and can't hold a large Slurpee :)

rfuerst911sc 03-20-2014 04:33 PM

So when you pulled out the OEM cup holders what did you put into the opening ? Is there a factory cubby hole compartment or what ?

BruceH 03-20-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 391913)
So when you pulled out the OEM cup holders what did you put into the opening ? Is there a factory cubby hole compartment or what ?

Yes, you can get a cubby or do what I did and put an ipad mini in!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1395363076.jpg

This is what I had before:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1395363209.jpg

mnc-i 03-20-2014 06:52 PM

Reference cup holders

I have a 1999 Boxster and I use a McDonalds drink carrier. One corner of the carrier fits nicely under the passenger seat adjustment handle.

It hasn't failed me yet and it is free.

Just my two-cents.

MNC-I

Porsche9 03-20-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Another +1. Haven't used the old one since.

986_c6 03-20-2014 07:27 PM

I don't have any problems with the Oe cup holders. A mcdonalds coffee or a regular sized soft drink from costco fits fine and stays in. Only if I take a turn like I am at Laguna Seca will I hold the drink in place with my hand

Porsche9 03-20-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986_c6 (Post 391942)
I don't have any problems with the Oe cup holders. A mcdonalds coffee or a regular sized soft drink from costco fits fine and stays in. Only if I take a turn like I am at Laguna Seca will I hold the drink in place with my hand

You take turns like you are at Laguna Seca with one hand?:)

Nine8Six 03-20-2014 11:15 PM

So after so many years we've finally redefined the dash's holder thing on some of the 986s. A "Can Holder" as opposed to a true cup holder. Fascinating forum and people!

I've been traumatized and physically abused by my mum, father, sisters and other relatives for simply eating or drinking (messing) anywhere else than in a food & beverage designated area. Same goes for the cars. No eating No drinking No Injecting No Snorkeling No Smoking No Smootching in any of my rides. No No No!

Brand new can holder for sale here if anyone is looking for one :p

RawleyD 03-20-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 391956)
So after so many years we've finally redefined the dash's holder thing on some of the 986s. A "Can Holder" as opposed to a true cup holder. Fascinating forum and people!

I've been traumatized and physically abused by my mum, father, sisters and other relatives for simply eating or drinking (messing) anywhere else than in a food & beverage designated area. Same goes for the cars. No eating No drinking No Injecting No Snorkeling No Smoking No Smootching in any of my rides. No No No!

Brand new can holder for sale here if anyone is looking for one :p

Ha! Your relatives would be horrified by my behavior then. I think I've done almost all of those in my Boxster. lol:eek:

ekam 03-21-2014 04:59 AM

In Europe when people want to have a drink they stop and go sit at a cafe. The cup holders are simply never designed for merika size cups.

I only use mine for thermos or water bottles since coffee always spills from it anyway and it ruins my dash & carpet.

Perfectlap 03-21-2014 06:35 AM

must be a tiptronic thread...:D

Nine8Six 03-21-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawleyD (Post 391960)
Ha! Your relatives would be horrified by my behavior then. I think I've done almost all of those in my Boxster. lol:eek:

hope you meant "occasional" behavior. In that case it all sounds that you are very well alive and kicking ;)

Jake Raby 03-21-2014 07:46 AM

At least you have cup holders!

Jager 03-21-2014 08:11 AM

I use one of the cup holders to hold my GPS display (when I use GPS), during long road trips cross-country or traveling through the jungles of LA.