986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How Old Are You? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/51206-how-old-you.html)

PorscheBound 03-17-2014 11:48 AM

How Old Are You?

Thread title says it all.

jb92563 03-17-2014 12:04 PM

I'm nearing the classic/collectible range with 470,850 hrs.

The old ticker has beat 2,260,080,000 times, and I've breathed 1,582,056,000 litres of air in that time.

Hmmmmm, wonder how many over rev's I've had ;)

BIGJake111 03-17-2014 12:22 PM

Nice thread curious to see results.

landrovered 03-17-2014 01:42 PM

I didn't see a choice for " old as dirt"...

husker boxster 03-17-2014 01:54 PM

Double Nickels in 3 wks. Picked up my new driver's license on Fri. Then it hit me - the next time I get a license I'll be 60. Ouch. I might qualify as old then.

818BoxsterS 03-17-2014 01:54 PM

I've been waiting for a thread like this but I have a feeling this is going to lead to "a teen shouldn't have a porsche .... Spoiled.. Blah blah" argument.

BIGJake111 03-17-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS (Post 391409)
I've been waiting for a thread like this but I have a feeling this is going to lead to "a teen shouldn't have a porsche .... Spoiled.. Blah blah" argument.

I get plenty of the spoiled teen bull.... but never from actual Porsche people. I am very pleased by the acceptance and community here and its great to be around people with experience and knowledge.

818BoxsterS 03-17-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 391410)
I get plenty of the spoiled teen bull.... but never from actual Porsche people. I am very pleased by the acceptance and community here and its great to be around people with experience and knowledge.

I get it a lot too but it does seem that the members on this forum are very accepting.

BIGJake111 03-17-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS (Post 391414)
I get it a lot too but it does seem that the members on this forum are very accepting.

At least you are from out west. Try owning one in redneck hillbilly country haha. :ah:

TeamOxford 03-17-2014 02:59 PM

Old enough to have used this on a daily basis:

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1395097070.jpg

Still own it too.........and it works great!

Just sayin'............

TO

Perfectlap 03-17-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

I would never say a teen shouldn't have a Porsche, but teens today have some serious financial hurdles in front of them that teens of previous generations did not.
Hurdles that are going to extend well into adulthood.They've got to be smarter and shrewder with their money than we were. Previous generations lucked out because just about any old job saw incomes rising quickly. Not the case anymore...
The crazy thing is that a teen wanting to learn how to be wise with money today has a much easier path because the information, as well as access, to any market you'd be interested in is light years better than it was when I was teen. What it would take me months to figure out back then I can discover in about 15 minutes of Google searching and Wikipedia reading today. Also, the investing oppourtunities available now, in a world that is embracing technology with both arms and legs, are open to any person of any age. There are some young people doing all of these things now while all their friends are concerned with how many FB likes they have.

Timco 03-17-2014 03:54 PM

43, earned every year.

My gray hair says "experience"...

My brown hair says "stamina"...

If only I could achieve the perfect balance.......:(

rick3000 03-17-2014 05:23 PM

I think if young people can afford a Porsche, and afford the much higher than average maintenance and insurance costs then go for it. You're only young once!

But I agree with Perfectlap, I hope the teens buying these cars realize that they might end up with a $2-3k repair bill, like a clutch replacement for instance. Especially, since the cheaper 986's for sale tend to be higher mileage.

Would you rather pour your hard earned money into a car or be saving it for a down payment, retirement, etc? Until you have a solid financial footing those are things worth serious consideration.

That said, I would probably go bankrupt before I sold my 986, I love it more than should be legal. :cheers:

cfos 03-17-2014 06:35 PM

meh. I would have rather seen categories like:

Bought 8-tracks
Bought Albums and 45s
Bought Cassettes
Bought CDs
Buy through iTunes

or

Had a dial phone
Had a cordless
Got a busy signal
Dialed only 7 numbers
Remember the cost of long distance
Bargain hunted for long distance plans
Had to change a phone number when moving to a new state

or

Had black'n'white
Had color
Remember time before Cable
etc.

;)

99'boxster986 03-17-2014 07:30 PM

I am 18 years old and proud to own a Porsche. No I am not in the least spoiled or in huge heaping amounts of debt over my car. Granted, it is my first car that I can say I own. I got one hell of a deal on it to which I am so grateful for. I'm not like most teens of my generation. I am not stupid and careless like others. I have priorities that I hold high above anything else. I consider my self smart with my hard earned money and what I do with it. My dream and everyday drive to keep it going is becoming the owner of a company that started from one simple idea. But I don't want to sit here and bore you with my life long goal. But some day I will get there, me and my little blue Boxster. http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1395113424.jpg

RedTele58 03-17-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Not at all - I'm all for you young guys driving a P-car! I think you're a lot better off than driving a Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, Ricer, etc.

I'm 55. I started at 15 w/ a '62 VW that I rebuilt the engine on with the help of my Dad - that hooked me forever on German cars and German engineering. In the next 6 years I had Beetles from a '56 to a '68. Had a '62 VW Bus and a '70 Karmann Ghia.

At 21 I bought my first Porsche - a rusty '67 911.

Then came a 924, several 944's, a 914, 3 different '84 928S and my 986 Boxsters - 4 in all. Also a '99 996C4 and I just bought another 914. I've also had a few Audi's over the years.

I've always owned at least one Porsche , and usually several, for the past 34 years. Right now I have 10 in the stable; 6 drivers and 4 projects.

I'm saving my dollars for a 2004 996 GT3 and hope to swing one next year before they become as expensive as unobtanium.

There's only two P-cars I've wanted that I'll never be able to afford - a 356 and a Carrera GT. And if I ever win the lottery... ;)

So I think you young guys should drive your Boxsters, learn to work on them, break them, fix them, work hard and save your money for another P-car and continue the cycle I started many years ago. You'll have a blast along the way! :cheers:

Rick

BIGJake111 03-17-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99'boxster986 (Post 391461)
My dream

There is something about ambition and a Porsche. I once read a flabbergasted quote by a guy that met at a young leaders conference. Just asked a few what they wanted to drive, he was overwhelmed by the fact most every individual said they wanted a Porsche. Many were going into fields and careers where they could afford "better" but what they all wanted, very simply was, a Porsche.

818BoxsterS 03-17-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 391427)
I would never say a teen shouldn't have a Porsche, but teens today have some serious financial hurdles in front of them that teens of previous generations did not.
Hurdles that are going to extend well into adulthood.They've got to be smarter and shrewder with their money than we were. Previous generations lucked out because just about any old job saw incomes rising quickly. Not the case anymore...
The crazy thing is that a teen wanting to learn how to be wise with money today has a much easier path because the information, as well as access, to any market you'd be interested in is light years better than it was when I was teen. What it would take me months to figure out back then I can discover in about 15 minutes of Google searching and Wikipedia reading today. Also, the investing oppourtunities available now, in a world that is embracing technology with both arms and legs, are open to any person of any age. There are some young people doing all of these things now while all their friends are concerned with how many FB likes they have.

I completely agree. I am self employed and have to manage my money to keep my business running so I really bought this as an investment but am getting attached fairly quickly haha.

99'boxster986 03-17-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS (Post 391464)
I completely agree. I am self employed and have to manage my money to keep my business running so I really bought this as an investment but am getting attached fairly quickly haha.

I was so surprised by this car and how much respect i have for it. I bought it not knowing how amazing Porsche engineered these cars. It really opened my eyes towards Porsche and what they do. I would really love to own all kinds of generations of Porsche sports cars in the future.

Timco 03-17-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS (Post 391464)

I'm self employed too.

Investments typically make money in the end.