Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

I consider building a 996.

I consider buying a 996 in decent condition. Style it clean with a turbo front, mid size wing, white headlights and break lights, black paint, black rims, black windows.

Having a really hard time deciding if I should buy a coupe or a cab.

I'd like some help choosing a decent wing within a pricerange of 800 USD.
A decent front bumper (within the same pricerange hopefully)

And does anynone know decent sites that sell styling and ships to sweden? There are plenty, but none of them shipps international from what I've seen.
And if they do, the shipping is 3 times the price of the product, wich makes it useless.

I love this one:

About the car above, that's the aero kit with a GT3 rear wing if I'm not misstaken?
More pics:
Cars for Sale: 2000 Porsche 911 Carrera in Miami, FL 33131: Coupe Details - 366576059 - AutoTrader.com

The car I concider buying is this (It would def need some work) :

With kind regards, Jonathan.

HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #2

Jonathan,

The spoiler in the first picture was the spoiler on the early aerokit equiped cars commonly called a "taco spoiler" due to when the spoiler is viewed from the side it looks like a taco shell.

My 996 looks exactly like the car in the first picture, only I have GT3 style wheels.

If you look at this thread from Rennlist, you'll see someone doing exactly what you want to do.

First post, exterior mods - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Good luck with finding and building your 996. They are a great car!

Rick
Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
Great car, but good luck finding the bumper & spoiler for $800 each. I think you are looking more at $1200-1500 each.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #4

Thanks guys!
And as for the one you sent, I can't really say that I like the led lights to be honest. Same goes for the exhuast system, but apart from that.. It's a really good looking car, really.
I've never been a porsche guy, but I bought my 986, and fell in love. And after a few months on this forum, I've become a porsche lover.

And btw, would the 986 front bumber and 986 headlights fit on a 996?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #5

If so, I consider takin them from my 986.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmaN View Post
If so, I consider takin them from my 986.

your 986 looks very clean and tasteful.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #7

The front bumper and lights will transfer back and forth from the first generation (Mark I) 996 to the first generation 986. Second generation 996 has a different headlight and bumper.

(Look at the difference in headlights on a 1999 996 and a 2002 996 and you'll see what I'm talking about.)

Your Boxster is very good looking - it would be hard for me to want to sell it or change any part of it.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #8

I might put a little more time into looking for a 996 that has low miles before focusing on the cosmetic stuff. When I hear that a Porsche "needs work" around here, not sure about your market, I'd be looking for another Porsche. In our market, Porsches after 1998 are in over-supply relative to demand. Better to find one that is old but has low miles.
The guy in Miami, FL asking near $30K for that 996 must have done a lot of work to that car, aside from the clutch he mentions. The newer 997.1's are already sinking into the low $30K's, cars that are five years newer and have the more current body style. Meanwhile buying that 996 and performing all the major maintenance that will be facing it once it hits about 70K miles could have put you into the 997.1 to begin with. That guy is getting out of that car just in time. He also makes no mention of replacing the IMS when he did the clutch, a question you always want to ask. If it was done already, that's one thing to cross off your list. Over Here that Cluthc/IMS/RMS job can cost over $3K if you include a new flywheel.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
The front bumper and lights will transfer back and forth from the first generation (Mark I) 996 to the first generation 986. Second generation 996 has a different headlight and bumper.

(Look at the difference in headlights on a 1999 996 and a 2002 996 and you'll see what I'm talking about.)

Your Boxster is very good looking - it would be hard for me to want to sell it or change any part of it.
I suppose that you mean that the lights on my boxster is the old lights, even for a 996. And these shown below is the "newer" ones. If so, I actually rather have the old ones.

Edit, thanks @Perfectlap

Last edited by HolmaN; 03-09-2014 at 09:34 AM.