View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Perfectlap

I might put a little more time into looking for a 996 that has low miles before focusing on the cosmetic stuff. When I hear that a Porsche "needs work" around here, not sure about your market, I'd be looking for another Porsche. In our market, Porsches after 1998 are in over-supply relative to demand. Better to find one that is old but has low miles.
The guy in Miami, FL asking near $30K for that 996 must have done a lot of work to that car, aside from the clutch he mentions. The newer 997.1's are already sinking into the low $30K's, cars that are five years newer and have the more current body style. Meanwhile buying that 996 and performing all the major maintenance that will be facing it once it hits about 70K miles could have put you into the 997.1 to begin with. That guy is getting out of that car just in time. He also makes no mention of replacing the IMS when he did the clutch, a question you always want to ask. If it was done already, that's one thing to cross off your list. Over Here that Cluthc/IMS/RMS job can cost over $3K if you include a new flywheel.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote