Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

Cool Leather seat replacement

My seats have finally hit the wall, although the rest of my 2000 Boxster looks showroom new. Has anyone replaced the leather seats? I'm looking at new leather seat cover replacements (not the seats themselves) from Classic 9. They've done a door panel for me that was perfect and can provide exact seat cover replacements. So the question is - how hard is it to replace/install the leather seat covers themselves? Anyone had any experience with this?

jcbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #2

Although I can't provide a good answer to your question (sorry), you are on the right track. Decent used leather seats are in the 800-1200 range without shipping.

I've purchase used seats and although I've been pleased with what I've received, I'm not sure I'm money ahead over what it would have cost to get good leather seat covers and either put them on myself or have the work done.

I don't think it is beyond DYI at all, just depends on your time and risk tolerance. I'd hate to scew up the new leather by making a rookie mistake!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

I stripped off the old leather off my seat frames and swapped out leather from another seat + the foam in the other seat... all the stuff on the new seat was in far better condition than my original.

It's not a hard job, just take your time.

I did not remove the leather off the bottom cushion... I just swapped it straight out.

If you're wondering why I just didn't bolt in the new seat, it's because it was a full power seat out of a 2002 Carrera and my 1997 boxster didn't have those kind of seats in it originally and I didn't want to tackle buying a seat memory module and wiring it all up and figuring out where to mount the memory module on the door...

If you take your time and use a workbench or your kitchen table you'll see it's not that difficult.

Note: I've found new covers are usually far more money than buying a set of seats from someone who is turning a very nice 911 coupe in to a track car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

Garage
If you want to jump into it and pay a few bux you could always do this...

I have never worked with this business but I find the look of his work amazing. here is is site.

Paul Champagne

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote