Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
2002 Boxster

2006 Boxster S spare wheel

Hi, I got my new Boxster last weekend and am loving it.

I was looking through the documentation for the location of the spare tire but I think my Boxster doesn't have one, I did find the tools and a can of tire fix as well as a pump (I am sure I am using all the wrong names). All in the luggage compartment in the front.

So does my Boxster have a spare tire or are the items I found (can and pump) in lieu of a spare tire ?

Thanks
Terry

TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #2

The later cars did not come with a spare.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #3

US models of 9x6 series came w/ a spare, tools and a jack. 9x7 US models (which stated w/ MY'05 and is what you have), came w/ a can of goop, electric compressor pump, tools, gloves and hearty "good luck" pat on the back. A few guys on 6speed w/ 997s added a compact spare (from 996's) as a piece of mind for what it's worth. I just carry the OEM goop & pump along w/ a plug kit in my 997 [fingers crossed...]

Good luck and enjoy your new Boxster!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Yep both these guys are right. On a different note though, I've never had a flat tire on low profile tires (50s and below)on any car that I've owned. They seem to me like they are built stronger or harder? Usually catch it before when the threads starts to smoth out. And trust me you will feel it if your running on 18s and up or see it when your washing the car. But if you run over a nail or screw, well.........try the pump and the goop.

Unfortunately a lot of car manufacturers are also going this route this save weight and money.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #5

All the goop and pumps in the world aren't going to help you if the hole is through the sidewall. That's the only reason I've kept my spare in the car. I also carry a plug kit, pliers, valve stem tool, pressure gauge, and a compressor.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #6

And a machette! Sorry couldn't resist. I'm still laughing from another post.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #7

Garage
I had a rear tire go down on the Interstate. By the time I got safely off on the shoulder, the wheel rim had cut a groove into the sidewall right down to the cords. Luckily, my car (2001) had a spare. I don't think a can of goop would have done it for me in this case. After the fact, I discovered that I had picked up a screw somewhere.

Burg -- I like your sig! That's the best I've seen yet.

Bill
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
1976 Datsun 260Z
billj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
I have a mini spare in my 2001 Box. However when I go out of town to the Rockies(a 4 hour drive) I take two snow tires(one front and one back) just in case I have a flat. I cannot imagine going very far on the mini spare. I put one tire where the mini spare goes and one in the passenger seat.
G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #9

Did you try to look between the seats and the trunk? They did hide the engine but perhaps there are more things hidden than we thought...

I'm just messing with you...

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/987STK.html?Category_Code=987WHELAX

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote