Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Soft top care?

Is there a proper way to care for the fabric on the soft top? Any conditioner or way to brush it? Light pressure wash to lift dirt out?

Oh, and what oil weight should I use and where do I put the jack? :dance:

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #2

I use Raggtop, as do a lot of other folks here. General consensus seems to be that it is the best product to use.

www.wolfsteins.com

As to the oil, don't worry about weight, not important. If you get to know the folks at your local garage you can get them to save the stuff they drain out of other cars for you. Just pour it through some cheesecloth to filter out the chunks before you put it in your engine.

You really want me to tell you where you can put your jack?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I've had good experiences using Raggtop cleaner and protectant. I've also heard good things about 303 as well. I need to clean my roof again and reprotect it (not an issue since it's in the garage). Bought a few cans of the Porsche-labeled protectant to use.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I clean with 303, then use Renovo waterproofer. I like the Renovo better than raggtop because it brushes on, so you don't have to worry about over spray onto the paint and it goes on thicker.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #5

Tim, plain water only, and a brush with medium/soft hair. Rinse, let dry and apply a silicon base waterproof spray (the one tested for car soft tops with UV protective this & that). Although kept indoor, I still carry out this maintenance quarterly.

I never wash the soft top when I wash the car. I just rinse it and gently rub with one hand.
No soap, no high tech anything. Looking as new after 15 years
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #6

Garage
I used RaggTop my first year. I think the water repellent just didn't hold up very long. I had to reapply a few month later. The kit gives you plenty of cleaner but only a couple applications of repellent
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Does anyone know if it'd be a good (or bad) idea to use a vacuum spot cleaner to clean the fabric top?
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

Just water and a soft brush to clean it. Then I use Aerospace 303 (available at marine stores). Apply it with a throw away brush, don't spray it as the overspray makes a mess. Really goober it on, more is more, about half the bottle. At first it will leave a foamy film but it goes away quickly.

I do my top maybe twice a year, it rains a lot here, and the top always beads water like the paintwork.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
Usercpy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Tim, plain water only, and a brush with medium/soft hair. Rinse, let dry and apply a silicon base waterproof spray (the one tested for car soft tops with UV protective this & that). Although kept indoor, I still carry out this maintenance quarterly.

I never wash the soft top when I wash the car. I just rinse it and gently rub with one hand.
No soap, no high tech anything. Looking as new after 15 years
Are you sure to use with silicone based spray product for ragtop, i've heard its not "breathable" for clothing ??
Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Does anyone know if it'd be a good (or bad) idea to use a vacuum spot cleaner to clean the fabric top?
If the Raggtopp cleanser doesn't get it out I'd be surprised. Use an OXO feathertip brush from one of the detaling websites like autogeek.net
Keep an asborber type sponge to dry the top (don't use that on paint).
Then follow up with the Raggtopp protectant in a non-windy space.

The problem with household cleaners are the detergents. They attract dust. Dust leads to thinning of the thread, which then leads to the stretch marks when you operate the top. So if you run the car through a car wash, you have to make sure the top is extremely well rinsed with a fair amount of pressure, twice.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #11

Garage
I agree with the 303 all the way.... I use the 303 fabric cleaner first, spray it down and give it a good scrub with a soft brush, then rinse it, let it dry and then apply the 303 Fabric Guard and let it dry in the shade or in the garage (not in the sun).

Afterwards I clean the plastic window with Meguiar's Clear plastic Cleaner #17 and then finish it up with Meguiar's Clear plastic polish #10... leaves it soft, no haze and crystal clear.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Just water and a soft brush to clean it. Then I use Aerospace 303 (available at marine stores). Apply it with a throw away brush, don't spray it as the overspray makes a mess. Really goober it on, more is more, about half the bottle. At first it will leave a foamy film but it goes away quickly.

I do my top maybe twice a year, it rains a lot here, and the top always beads water like the paintwork.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
I agree with the 303 all the way.... I use the 303 fabric cleaner first, spray it down and give it a good scrub with a soft brush, then rinse it, let it dry and then apply the 303 Fabric Guard and let it dry in the shade or in the garage (not in the sun).

Afterwards I clean the plastic window with Meguiar's Clear plastic Cleaner #17 and then finish it up with Meguiar's Clear plastic polish #10... leaves it soft, no haze and crystal clear.

H
Does the 303 cleaner take out the 303 Fabric Guard? And for the plastic window, do you polish by hand or with a polisher?
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Do not attempt to use any other than a towel on the plastic window. They aren't very robust, especially with age. Plexus is the best thing to use on the plastic window.