Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....
 
Timco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,433
Soft top care?

Is there a proper way to care for the fabric on the soft top? Any conditioner or way to brush it? Light pressure wash to lift dirt out?

Oh, and what oil weight should I use and where do I put the jack?

__________________
'04 Boxster S 50 Jahre 550 Spyder Anniversary Special Edition, 851 of 1953, 6-sp, IMS/RMS, GT Metallic silver, cocoa brown leather SOLD to member Broken Linkage.
'08 VW Touareg T-3 wife's car
'13 F150 Super Crew long bed 4x4 w/ Ego Boost
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 2,486
I use Raggtop, as do a lot of other folks here. General consensus seems to be that it is the best product to use.

www.wolfsteins.com

As to the oil, don't worry about weight, not important. If you get to know the folks at your local garage you can get them to save the stuff they drain out of other cars for you. Just pour it through some cheesecloth to filter out the chunks before you put it in your engine.

You really want me to tell you where you can put your jack?
__________________
'99 black 986
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver
 
Deserion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,243
Garage
I've had good experiences using Raggtop cleaner and protectant. I've also heard good things about 303 as well. I need to clean my roof again and reprotect it (not an issue since it's in the garage). Bought a few cans of the Porsche-labeled protectant to use.
__________________
-Chris
2004 Porsche Boxster 2.7
1991 Porsche 911 C2 Targa 3.6
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,129
Garage
I clean with 303, then use Renovo waterproofer. I like the Renovo better than raggtop because it brushes on, so you don't have to worry about over spray onto the paint and it goes on thicker.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Nine8Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Montreal, QC. (currently expat to Shanghai)
Posts: 3,085
Tim, plain water only, and a brush with medium/soft hair. Rinse, let dry and apply a silicon base waterproof spray (the one tested for car soft tops with UV protective this & that). Although kept indoor, I still carry out this maintenance quarterly.

I never wash the soft top when I wash the car. I just rinse it and gently rub with one hand.
No soap, no high tech anything. Looking as new after 15 years
__________________
______________________________
'97 Boxster base model 2.5L, Guards Red/Tan leather, with a new but old Alpine am/fm radio.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,211
Garage
I used RaggTop my first year. I think the water repellent just didn't hold up very long. I had to reapply a few month later. The kit gives you plenty of cleaner but only a couple applications of repellent
__________________
2002 S - old school third pedal
Seal Grey
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 266
Does anyone know if it'd be a good (or bad) idea to use a vacuum spot cleaner to clean the fabric top?
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami florida
Posts: 1,591
Just water and a soft brush to clean it. Then I use Aerospace 303 (available at marine stores). Apply it with a throw away brush, don't spray it as the overspray makes a mess. Really goober it on, more is more, about half the bottle. At first it will leave a foamy film but it goes away quickly.

I do my top maybe twice a year, it rains a lot here, and the top always beads water like the paintwork.
__________________
Current car

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Usercpy
 
ilikeching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 205
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Tim, plain water only, and a brush with medium/soft hair. Rinse, let dry and apply a silicon base waterproof spray (the one tested for car soft tops with UV protective this & that). Although kept indoor, I still carry out this maintenance quarterly.

I never wash the soft top when I wash the car. I just rinse it and gently rub with one hand.
No soap, no high tech anything. Looking as new after 15 years
Are you sure to use with silicone based spray product for ragtop, i've heard its not "breathable" for clothing ??
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flickr_ching/
ilikeching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
Does anyone know if it'd be a good (or bad) idea to use a vacuum spot cleaner to clean the fabric top?
If the Raggtopp cleanser doesn't get it out I'd be surprised. Use an OXO feathertip brush from one of the detaling websites like autogeek.net
Keep an asborber type sponge to dry the top (don't use that on paint).
Then follow up with the Raggtopp protectant in a non-windy space.

The problem with household cleaners are the detergents. They attract dust. Dust leads to thinning of the thread, which then leads to the stretch marks when you operate the top. So if you run the car through a car wash, you have to make sure the top is extremely well rinsed with a fair amount of pressure, twice.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Heiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 919
Garage
I agree with the 303 all the way.... I use the 303 fabric cleaner first, spray it down and give it a good scrub with a soft brush, then rinse it, let it dry and then apply the 303 Fabric Guard and let it dry in the shade or in the garage (not in the sun).

Afterwards I clean the plastic window with Meguiar's Clear plastic Cleaner #17 and then finish it up with Meguiar's Clear plastic polish #10... leaves it soft, no haze and crystal clear.

H


Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Just water and a soft brush to clean it. Then I use Aerospace 303 (available at marine stores). Apply it with a throw away brush, don't spray it as the overspray makes a mess. Really goober it on, more is more, about half the bottle. At first it will leave a foamy film but it goes away quickly.

I do my top maybe twice a year, it rains a lot here, and the top always beads water like the paintwork.
__________________
_________________________________________
Previously owned:
2000 Boxster S 3.2 Ocean Blue / 1974 911 Targa Silver
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
I agree with the 303 all the way.... I use the 303 fabric cleaner first, spray it down and give it a good scrub with a soft brush, then rinse it, let it dry and then apply the 303 Fabric Guard and let it dry in the shade or in the garage (not in the sun).

Afterwards I clean the plastic window with Meguiar's Clear plastic Cleaner #17 and then finish it up with Meguiar's Clear plastic polish #10... leaves it soft, no haze and crystal clear.

H
Does the 303 cleaner take out the 303 Fabric Guard? And for the plastic window, do you polish by hand or with a polisher?
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,129
Garage
Do not attempt to use any other than a towel on the plastic window. They aren't very robust, especially with age. Plexus is the best thing to use on the plastic window.

__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page