Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Garage
Rear bumperette/bracket removal cover?

I want to remove ther rear bumperettes and brackets. Has anyone done this? I have a 99 Boxster. I have the bumper off and the brackets are riveted to the bumper brace so I was going to drill out the rivets. The bumper has the cutouts for the bumperettes so wondering has anyone done this and what have you done to cover the bumper holes. I am looking for a low cost option. I have read some have taken the bumper to autobody shop to Plastic weld a pieced over where the holes are where the license plate goes but this seems costly. I also found a company that sells an aluminum plate to fit but its $200. Not going to pay $200 for a piece of aluminum. I was thinking some aluminum mesh maybe black to accent the area and maybe putting a cople of rectanglar brake lights where the bumperettes were. I was also thinking of aluminum flashing with the black mesh over aluminum?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Personally, I think the mesh will look exactly like what it is -- a cheap and quick cover-up. This will not enhance the appearance or value of your Boxster, IMO.

If you're going to go to the trouble, why not do it right? You should be able to find a shop to make you a plate that will fit across the whole space, or do it yourself with some simple tools -- a bandsaw or hacksaw and a file. Paint it body color, or black, and it will look professional and finished.

I remember seeing this done somewhere, probably here on the forum, but I can't give you a link.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

Garage
Perhaps, I found some pieces of sheet plastic. I think Black would contrast with the silver nicely. I was looking at the Gambella rear bumper for the Boxster. Not that it is an option but the mesh on the back bumper with the exhaust exiting looks real cool.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

Garage
here is what I did once I removed bumperettes.Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #5

Garage
looks pretty good... would honestly make for a good front end as well haha. I wonder how hard it would be to route the exhaust out the back.......
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

I was thinking about going to the bumperette-less look but got scared off with thought of what car insurance company tried to avoid covering some of the costs associated with rear end damage. Anyone have any thoughts on that aspect? I know insurers are always looking for angles to reject claims or part of claims. You know the old saying "Insurance is great, until you need it"
Old 03-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #7

Garage
next thing is a removeable front plate bracket. thinking about one where the plate folds down and slides under the front bumper. the manual one not the powered one. I have paid enough for parts.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
I was thinking about going to the bumperette-less look but got scared off with thought of what car insurance company tried to avoid covering some of the costs associated with rear end damage. Anyone have any thoughts on that aspect? I know insurers are always looking for angles to reject claims or part of claims. You know the old saying "Insurance is great, until you need it"
I was rear-ended two weeks ago and the bumperettes took all of the impact. Still waiting for the results of my mechanic's final inspection, but only visible damage is a couple of cracks in the paint of the bumper cover. The Lexus who hit me lost the whole front end. Seeing their effectiveness at absorbing an impact has cured me of my evil bumperette removal thoughts.
Taipanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #9
2002 Boxster S

Garage
That turned out well, judging by the photo!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #10

Are you still happy with your mod? I'm thinking about doing something like this to mine or maybe go for the spec cut out look.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 AM   #11

Garage
I like the look and I like the black with the Arctic silver.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #12

A few years ago, I lightly backed into a tree (and I still can't believe I did that) but was lucky enough that one bumperette took the full impact. The bumperette incurred only only a few scratches, but most importantly, the painted bumper cover incurred no damage at all.

The bumperettes do serve an important purpose.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
On the slippery slope

Garage
Why mess with perfection???
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #14

Garage
I have a backup camera and besides I am gearhead and enjoy working on the car almost as much as driving it.

Last edited by mikesz; 11-18-2015 at 10:10 AM.
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I have a backup camera and besides I am gearhead and enjoy working on the car almost as much as driving it.
More importantly the bumperettes are part of the equation in rear end collision protection. No backup camera in the world is gonna help you there...
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #16

I prefer the European look without the bumperettes. It's on my to do list.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #17

I do like the look without the bumperettes.....but will never take them off as they simply serve too great a purpose. Easier and far cheaper to replace a damaged bumperette than the whole bumper. Accidents happen.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:15 PM   #18

Garage
I was at a self serve gas station and some ahole barreled in and tapped my rear bumperettes. sad thing was he had no clue what he had done and there was no damage. but you know what? I still like the clean euro look without the bumperettes. Sick and tired of people trying to pass laws because the common USA citizen is to stupid to know what is going on around them. I took the bumperettes off and glad I did I like the look, its clean, if someone hits me I will fix/get a new bumper and put it back on. Not trying to start a riot on this forum but opinions are like ****************************s everybody has one and I don't care about yours!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #19

If bumperettes are so important, then why aren't they on the front too? It's not that I despise them. They just stick out too much for my tastes. They remind me of impact bumpers from the 70's.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
They remind me of impact bumpers from the 70's.
I had a Fiat X 1/9 with front and rear bumpers that stood out from the body on little shock absorber type attachments... I know what you mean...

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote