Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #1

ATD vs GAHH

All right guys, I finally found an reputable installer to put on my top for a reasonable $600, but now i'm trying to decide on a manufacturer. I want to pull the gun on this in the next few days.
I plan on putting a glass window with a black top , and have heard good things about the GAHH tops, but with shipping and taxes, the non-acoustic will run over $900 bucks.
I could get the AutoTopDirect with the same specs for under $600...
Question. is it the same top with just different warranties? The pics of the top on the website are of the same car! Customers service won't comment on who makes the tops.

Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #2

I'm thinking of changing my top soon too. It is very confusing between gaah, atd, robbins and ez on. Gaah is the most expensive but same warranty with robbins and ez.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

not to thread jack but what I'd like to do is buy an 03-04 frame from a front end wrecked Boxster and have the installer cover the old frame with a new aftermarket top ... without it costing an arm and a leg.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

I bought mine off ebay from topsonline.com. I was very happy with the quality. Can't comment on the others.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
not to thread jack but what I'd like to do is buy an 03-04 frame from a front end wrecked Boxster and have the installer cover the old frame with a new aftermarket top ... without it costing an arm and a leg.
Just like all of us
I just recieved an email 2 weeks ago from a dismentler.
$1800+300 for shipping. You can have it if you want
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
All right guys, I finally found an reputable installer to put on my top for a reasonable $600, but now i'm trying to decide on a manufacturer. I want to pull the gun on this in the next few days.
I plan on putting a glass window with a black top , and have heard good things about the GAHH tops, but with shipping and taxes, the non-acoustic will run over $900 bucks.
Question. is it the same top with just different warranties? The pics of the top on the website are of the same car! Customers service won't comment on who makes the tops.
They ar all probebly made by the same manufacture in china.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I like the option also, but I haven't had much luck finding a black 03 top and frame for less than $2200 bucks shipped....hate to spend to much on a car I may keep only for a couple more years

Last edited by Skrapmot; 02-15-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
been answered many times. the GAAH has lifetime warranty on the bonding, whereas others do not (usually 3-5 years)

i have the GAHH A5.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #9

I already stated I noted the difference in the warranties, but is that all? I doubt I will have the car for much more than 5 years, but I do need a new top now regardless.
I saw an earlier post in rentech where someone mentioned that their ATD purchased arrived in a GAHH box and wonder if anyone else has any input about that. Also, it looks as if the rear window bonding has changed a bit since some of these old post.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Don't know about ATD and their service, but GAHH is who I went with and hands down it was a great decision. Following Mike's instructions the install was easy and I had it done in an evening. Holes were punched in the exact spot where needed and seams and straps were spot on.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #11

I purchased my glass top from a seller on ebay

for $460 shipped. They were closing them out. I received instructions with it indicating it was a GAHH top as well as paperwork indicating it was a Robbins top. IMO there is really no difference between them and I would guess that they are all manufactured in the same place and sold to several different retailers that market them as different products.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Unfortunately most Box owners have experience with only one replacement top so difficult to compare. I went with GAHH on the recommendation of member "Schoir" who I believe in an east coast installer. Very satisfied. I probably could have found a quality top for a couple hundred less but in the end... I don't really care that much. I got exactly what I wanted at a fair price. The car looks great and no more Boxster chop.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
Mike o

I went with tops online, EZ on brand with glass. Excellent quality. Installed myself. Never istalled one before so the learning curve was steep. About 10 hours but could do it in 6 if I had to do it again. I'm in the minority here but, if I were to do it all over, I would have went with the original vinyl window only because I want better access to the engine.
Mike o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Usercpy

Garage
Installed from EZon from autotops too, great quality, german A5haartz,it took me 10-12 hours to install, but took some documentary pics while installing, not a easy task but next time it will be much easier.
I live in Norway, and installing from a dealer with top/glas would cost me about $ 3500....insane price..... So i ordered from ebay, total cost $ 600 with parts and lots of reading......
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #15

Auto tops direct is a store front for GAHH. Robbins and GAHH is owned by the same company. I prefer installing GAHH. I have been using them for many years. Lifetime warranty for glass bonding is from GAHH only. Labor installation is $400.00.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica View Post
Auto tops direct is a store front for GAHH. Robbins and GAHH is owned by the same company. I prefer installing GAHH. I have been using them for many years. Lifetime warranty for glass bonding is from GAHH only. Labor installation is $400.00.
Thanks, this is very helpful. Wish you had a shop in the Bay Area! The cheapest installer I found was for $600 (all others wanted at least $800) but said he would only do Robbins or GAHH tops. If ATD does ship out GAHH that seems like the most economical route to go.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #17

I just recently put an ATD top on my 2000 and the quality is top notch. Had it installed by a professional installer (who actually said he'd install my top but wanted to sell me a GAHH). I actually got compliments on the quality of the top and the ease of install from him. It's holding up great and the glass window is such a HUGE upgrade! Not knocking GAHH, just giving a +1 for the ATD.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #18

All right, pulled the gun on the ATD German A5 top with glass window. Out the door at $629.00 shipped with tax, about $200 dollars cheaper than the GAHH top. Ordered it on Monday and got it on Wed.

The installer was more than a little annoyed by GAHH, as his cost for the GAHH top is $9 more than what I paid for the ATD, even though the top is clearly the same, and shipped from the same N. Hollywood address. The longer warranty is nice, but not $200 nicer.

I post some before and after pics after its done. All these upholstery places have a long waiting list for work and probably won't get it squeezed for a week or 2.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #19

Garage
Good to hear! I need to talk to the installer that I spoke to, to see if he will do the ATD top. Glad to hear it is the same as the GAHH. What are they charging? The installer I spoke to wants $550 to do the GAHH. I am looking forward to your pics.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #20

My installer would only install a Robbins or GAHH top, so I did as much research as I could a took a little bit of risk ordering from ATD in hopes that everyone was right about them ATD and GAHH being the same.
The installer took a look at it, and with the exception of a big sticker on the front of the box saying "Sierra tops" (covering up a GAHH logo?) he said they were identical, right down to the packaging. He's gonna charge 600 bucks, which is about 200 less than every other installer in a 20 miles radius.