Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Mustang Run In

Caught a light today with an 06ish Mustang GT. For all the street racing haters out there, this was about as clean of an environment you can get on the road. Red Light. No one in front of us. 2 lane Straight road for 3 miles. No innocent drivers around. Wasn't looking for a race. Just happened to catch a light with him and all though these are not straight line cars it is still a performance car. So with that said the light turns green....

250HP and 225TQ vs 300HP and 325TQ

1st gear - Boxster Pulled a nose

2nd gear - Mustang pulled ahead by a nose

3rd gear - Boxster starts reeling - Mustang shuts down

I think we ended up at about 90MPH all said and done.

So I guess I officially lost by about a fender but had the race gone another 1/8 mile I think the results would have been different. In any case I love the fact that our 250hp Boxsters have the performance abilities of 300 + HP cars.

We exchanged thumbs up and went about our way.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #2

Being first in line at a red light is always an invitation to a full performance takeoff up to the speed limit plus 10%.

I even do that on a 35mph limit stretch because its just plain fun. Yes I check intersections carefully before doing so, and abstain if it looks at all questionable.

every now and then someone feels they need to show me something and blow by at a ridiculous speed. A couple times an even faster car with lights flashing is in hot pursuit and I find them pulled over getting a chewing out and a ticket.

I dont race because most young inexperienced kids that do in powerful cars can't control the car properly and you will be lucky not to get wrecked when they wander all over the road.

Its cool though like you said to se that a Boxster does more than alright even in a straight line against more HP.

I attribute that to the lighter weight, so get next to a Miata and you will see how much weight matters

Mustang GT 3300 lbs
986 2800
Miata 2300
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-22-2014 at 08:54 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #3

Great physics working here.I own a 250HP six speed Boxster and I had a brand new 300HP five speed 2005 Mustang GT.

It has been fun to compare the acceleration and driving feel of these exact cars.

Approximatly 500 lbs and 50 HP is spread out among the two cars.About 10 llbs of weight per horsepower.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:41 AM   #4

Get rid of your spare wheel in the frunk, go save some lbs with test pipes, remove AC, get GT3 seats, and you will win
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Being first in line at a red light is always an invitation to a full performance takeoff up to the speed limit plus 10%.

I even do that on a 35mph limit stretch because its just plain fun. Yes I check intersections carefully before doing so, and abstain if it looks at all questionable.

every now and then someone feels they need to show me something and blow by at a ridiculous speed. A couple times an even faster car with lights flashing is in hot pursuit and I find them pulled over getting a chewing out and a ticket.

I dont race because most young inexperienced kids that do in powerful cars can't control the car properly and you will be lucky not to get wrecked when they wander all over the road.

Its cool though like you said to se that a Boxster does more than alright even in a straight line against more HP.

I attribute that to the lighter weight, so get next to a Miata and you will see how much weight matters

Mustang GT 3300 lbs
986 2800
Miata 2300
Yeah those Miata's probably don't do half bad. But id like to think we would walk away from one.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote