Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #1

Garage
986 Classic Status

Just found this little tidbit.

Classic News Archive - Classic News - News & Events - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Classic News Archive
New in the Porsche Classic range: the Porsche Boxster, Type 986 and the Porsche 911, Type 996

The Porsche Boxster, Type 986:

[+]
Production period: 1997 – 2004
Number of examples produced: 164,874
Available part numbers: 8,400

A new performance and safety standard in the market segment of open-top sports cars sets the current Porsche Boxster since September 1996. The roadster combines the dynamic driving qualities of a sports car with unrestricted suitability for everyday use.

A novel top kinematics enables unmatched fast opening and closing of the electrically operated soft top in just 12 seconds.

The Boxster is distinguished from his fiercest competitors with its mid-engine concept with typical Porsche six-cylinder boxer engine.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #2

Garage
What does it mean for Porsche to classify it as a "classic" ?
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:29 AM   #3

Garage
It means our cars are now worth millions of dollars.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
Damn Yankee

Garage
It means you're going to pay more for Genuine Porsche OEM parts purchased from the dealer.

My understanding is that when a Porsche model goes "classic", Porsche will continue to stock an extensive line of replacement parts for it, from the original manufacturers, but they may be NOS, produced in smaller production runs, which would result in a higher prices for the consumer.

Makes sense, and to the Porsche owner who absolutely, positively wants the original parts, it's worth it. Purity of the breed, and all that.......

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #5

better start stocking up AOS, waterpumps, coolant tanks, fuel pumps, etc. now. LOL.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
A novel top kinematics enables unmatched fast opening and closing of the electrically operated soft top in just 12 seconds.
So that is how long it takes to exit the driver's seat, chop the top so neither side creases, and then get back into the car to push the button again as calibrated by Porsche technicians...

Anyone up for some soft-top-chop time trials? I need to lower my time significantly.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The Suncoast email I just received said they where unsure what being made 'Classic' meant. If it does ensure part availability, I will be very pleased!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
So that is how long it takes to exit the driver's seat, chop the top so neither side creases, and then get back into the car to push the button again as calibrated by Porsche technicians...

Anyone up for some soft-top-chop time trials? I need to lower my time significantly.
I'm rocking one of these to reduce my time
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Damn Yankee

Garage
From the Porsche factory website:

"Generally, Porsche Classic looks after vehicles whose standard production was discontinued at least 10 years previously. In other words, the 356, 914, 959 and 911 up to and including Types 964 and 993, as well as all four and eight-cylinder Porsche road vehicles such as the 924, 928, 944 and 968. Additionally there are two newcomers in the Porsche Classic range: the Porsche Boxster, Type 986 and the Porsche 911, Type 996. You will find a more detailed list of the models looked after here.

Porsche Classic is constantly endeavouring to close any gaps in the spare parts range. Altogether, around 52,000 Classic Parts are currently available and the inventory is continuously monitored and updated. Relaunches of parts especially, place exceptional demands on the Classic staff.

"The market demand must first be determined, historical documents in the Porsche Development Archive must be reviewed and the availability and condition of original tools must be checked. A new supplier must often be found or a new tool manufactured. These steps are not only costly themselves, they also involve thorough and expensive technical checks. This is because Porsche Classic Genuine Parts are of course subject to the same quality standards as current Porsche Genuine Parts. All parts relevant to safety are comprehensively tested at the Porsche Development Centre in Weissach. During production, increased statutory requirements must be observed, e.g. bans on specific materials when manufacturing spare parts (key term “restriction on hazardous substances”).

The close relationship that Porsche Classic maintains with its suppliers is often the only reason that a Classic Genuine Part can be produced or relaunched. This is due to the fact that many suppliers incur above-average expenses (e.g. due to storage, maintenance and operation of old, large and complex tools) for low production quantities resulting from the relatively small number of classic Porsche vehicles compared to large automobile manufacturers."

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post

LOL! Only 986 guys know the "CHOP!"

Or were there other verts that needed the same assistance?
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
It means our cars are now worth millions of dollars.
!!!!!!!!!!!! YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!